Uses for a GPU upgrade other than gaming.

papalonglegs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hello,

I'm currently going through the process of searching for, buying and upgrading my computer, specifically the GPU and PSU.

I was prompted to do this because of Battlefield 3 not running well on my system. Now my problem is that BF3 will literally be the only game I play on it (until DICE release BF4 at least) as I'm more of a console gamer (sorry lol).

And my question is, by upgrading my GPU, what else will benefit? I'm an illustrator and animator by trade so I spend a lot of time with the Adobe suite, Photoshop, Flash, After Effects and Premiere mainly- will these programs speed up with a new GPU?

I always thought Photoshop, and indeed video rendering were more CPU intensive. Is this the case? Will a new GPU make that much of a difference? I not that brushes in Photoshop lag behind my cursor on high resolutions, is this the sort of thing faster graphics would help?

Thanks!

hameem 1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
in software like 3dmaya , blender and other 3d softwares .. the gpu will make a defference .. but other 2d softwares like Photoshop are CPU intensive

for bf3 nvidia recommend the gtx 560 for high settings @ 1080p and ultra in lower resulotion
gtx 580 for ultra on 1080p

papalonglegs

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
so you're saying a GPU won't make any difference to anything not made of polygons? What about After Effects rendering?

Well I guess BF3 is good, but its not worth over £100 in upgrades.