Sign in with
Your question

Poor performance from gtx580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2011 5:09:54 PM

i got a new Galaxy gtx580 acelero.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it replaced a pny gtx 560ti oc2 clocked at 900 stock
i ran my usual furmark and and 3d mark 11 and performance seems really close gtx560ti 5300 vs gtx580 5700
and furmark gets same or lower scores.
i was going to sli the 560ti but then i would have had to get new mother board ram and powersupply so i thought it was better to go single card with less issues.
in games battlefild 3 is almost constant 60fps dipping to 40 when maxed out, but starcraft 2 performance is really slow with allmost no performance increase from 560ti at times the fps dips to 14 and high is usualy only 65 with average of 40. It allso only useing 45% gpu the whole time on msi afterburner so maybe driver issue?
so do i have a bad card? not set up properly?
or you guys think i should have sli my 560ti?
my specs are
Biostar 790gxe micro atx
kingston ddr2 hyperx 1066 cas 5
corsair cx600 600watt
phenom 2 x4 970 overclocked to 3.8 @1.45v

note: i overclocked the card to 920 at 1.075v and seemed stable had no crashes running heaven for an hour.
but it did not
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2011 5:55:35 PM

Starcraft II is running slow because of your CPU, not GPU.
m
l
November 13, 2011 6:51:52 PM

Sunius said:
Starcraft II is running slow because of your CPU, not GPU.

really? my cpu is only at 75% on one core and others are at 25% and my gpu is only running at 50% the whole time
im only averaging 40-45 fps on starcraft 2 and im getting a solid 65fps with maybe a 40fps dip on battlefield 3 maxed out. i would think battlefield 3 is more cpu intensive since gpu is maxed at 100% and my cpu is at 75-90 on all cores. so i think something is up with starcraft. and i cant seem to get improvements from my overclock. 53c gpu at constant load so i don't think its throttling
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2011 7:04:03 PM

Is 40-45 bad? If you don't believe me, google it, Starcraft II eats away your cpu power. Monitoring your percentage CPU load won't show you the real situation.
m
l
a c 91 Î Nvidia
November 13, 2011 7:16:59 PM

Battlefield 3 is all gpu , you can run BF3 on a dual core cpu so you need a really good video card. You do have to be aware of what games are affected by what components as all games are different and if your going to compare benchmarks you have to aware of this. The other thing is that the 580 you bought is clocked at a reference speed of 772 mhz and the 560Ti is clocked at 900 mhz , so you are not only comparing different gpu's but different speeds as well which will affect the benchmarks. If you want to make a comparison to which card is better at the same speed then you have to do that but the Pny one comes factory overclocked.
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:49:09 AM

inzone said:
Battlefield 3 is all gpu , you can run BF3 on a dual core cpu so you need a really good video card. You do have to be aware of what games are affected by what components as all games are different and if your going to compare benchmarks you have to aware of this. The other thing is that the 580 you bought is clocked at a reference speed of 772 mhz and the 560Ti is clocked at 900 mhz , so you are not only comparing different gpu's but different speeds as well which will affect the benchmarks. If you want to make a comparison to which card is better at the same speed then you have to do that but the Pny one comes factory overclocked.

figured it out im definitely bottlenecked by my phenom 2 x4.
i overclocked to 4.1 from 3.8 and scores from benchmarks went up.
what should a gtx580 be paired with? does amd offer anything? or is it only intel that can handle this card?
m
l
!