Before I get started, here's the system specs I'm working with:

i-2600k CPU
16GB G.Skill Ripsaw 1600 Ram
Gigabyte GeForce 560 Ti
600w Cooler Master Silent Pro
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 (was in RAID 0)
2TB Hitachi

So my MOBO seems to be dead, I boot it up and it starts doing reboot cycles. I unplugged everything except MOBO, cpu, and 1 stick of ram, still kept doing it. Tried quite a few things. It started up long enough to get into the BIOS and I watched the temp on everything, it was all fine, still freezes and reboots even from BIOS.

Took out the CMOS battery and tried to see if that changed anything. I got it into BIOS (which it will usually do), but this time instead of just shutting down, a bunch of crazy colors flashed up on the screen and the monitor went into sleep mode, but the power stayed on. I had to physically turn it off at the PSU. I tried to boot it again, and the monitor never came on, then it killed power again after about 20 seconds. So does this help rule out PSU if it is completely crashing while the power is still on? So unless anyone thinks otherwise, I'm assuming its the MOBO.

I've currently got the Asus P8Z68-V Pro, which I've heard has had a few problems with other people as well. I'm looking to replace it with a new board and was hoping to get some direction. I was looking at a couple different Z77 boards like:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H – $170
Asrock Z77-EXTREME4 – $136

Any others that anyone would recommend? I'm not the most savvy when it comes to MOBO's.

Next question that is perhaps a bit harder to answer. I had 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3's in RAID 0. I know RAID 0 is risky, so I had been pretty good about back ups, but unfortunately I had been really slammed the last few weeks, and hadn't backed up. Is there any way to recover the data from a RAID 0 array on a new MOBO? I've heard there's ways that you could potentially even keep Windows without a reinstall, but I know that's difficult.

Thanks a TON for any help on this one.
3 answers Last reply
More about dead mobo determining replacement
  1. This will help rule out PSU if the MB will not power up/keep powering off.
    It is very likely the PSU and I would reccomend using the paperclip trick:
    http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Please try the test and post back the voltages on EVERY wire.
    You will need a analog or digital voltmeter to check these values.
    Good voltages:
    Orange to black: 3.3v [3.0v-3.7v]
    Red to Black: 5v [4.5v-5.5v]
    Yellow to black: 12v [11v-13v]
    Grey to black: 5v [4.5v-5.5v]
    The grey wire tells the CPU to start up.
    Blue to black: -12v [-11.5v--13v]
    Purple to black: 5v [4.5v-5.5v] (with paperclip removed)
    The purple wire powers the MB when it is in standby of off.
    Black to black: NOTHING [-0.100-+0.100]

If the voltages are not within the mentioned ranges, something is wrong.
    If they are OK at no load without anything plugged in, add a load
    like a medium size 12v electric motor or 50W Halogen headlight to the 12v rail
    and retest all values, if any are off the limits the PSU is JUNK and should
    never be attached to hardware again. If the values are close to the limits,
    leave it running for a hour and retest again, if any are off the limits it is dead.

Hope this can help, if the PSU is bad then MB testing will begin with a new or
    borrowed know good PSU. Have a good day/night and I will check this thread
    again tomorrow. To me I believe (and hope) it is just the PSU. As long as
    you didnt smell burning PCB or the MB wasnt sparking/smoking you can have hope.

BTW: Nice Hardware! I only have a P4 x86 1 core with 1.75GB RAM
    randomly matched 512M 1GB 256MB, Intel 685 integrated graphics
    and a 40GB HDD and Rosewill 500W PSU, but it runs N64 emulators and Linux
    games fine. Someday soon Im gonna get upgrades for the graphics and RAM.
  2. There is a compatibility problem with some motherboards and some F3 hard drives. A firmware update was released to fix the problem. It applies to Intel P67/H67 chipset motherboards and possibly newer chipset motherboards.

Samsung F3 and F3EG Firmware Patch/Update
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223631en
  3. I have encountered this kind of problem with my old computer, what i did is go to my motherboard CMOS BIOS and since my motherboard cmos have a PSU voltage monitoring i'm able to see the voltage output coming from my psu, the cause of the problem is that my PSU 12V power rail just drop below the allowable tolerance so I know right away that my PSU is at fault, after I changed my PSU everything goes to normal. My suggestion, if you have this power monitoring on your motherboard CMOS check the output voltage if you don't have this power monitoring check the voltage output on every wire as what thenh813 said but a voltmeter is required on this test. I assume the PSU is most probably the faulty component on your computer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards