Sign in with
Your question

New PSU boot up error (Hard drive isn't working)

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Boot
  • Graphics Cards
  • Hard Drives
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 23, 2012 6:50:41 PM

I recently just purchased a 650W psu to replace my old 300W as i want to upgrade my graphics card. I followed instructions given to me in the booklet, and looked at many youtube videos to help me through the process. However, when i boot up my PC, i get an error telling me to reboot with proper media, or something along those lines. Basically meaning I don't have an OS to access my computer. Everything else is receiving power, the Disc drive is working perfectly fine, just not my HDD. I have a SATA HDD and the same type of cable is used to power up my disc drive. I'm fairly confident everything is plugged in perfectly fine and i need a solution to this problem, has my HDD broken? Also plugging in my old PSU doesn't work either. Thanks.

More about : psu boot error hard drive working

a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2012 7:29:19 PM

Mikey11 said:
I recently just purchased a 650W psu to replace my old 300W as i want to upgrade my graphics card. I followed instructions given to me in the booklet, and looked at many youtube videos to help me through the process. However, when i boot up my PC, i get an error telling me to reboot with proper media, or something along those lines. Basically meaning I don't have an OS to access my computer. Everything else is receiving power, the Disc drive is working perfectly fine, just not my HDD. I have a SATA HDD and the same type of cable is used to power up my disc drive. I'm fairly confident everything is plugged in perfectly fine and i need a solution to this problem, has my HDD broken? Also plugging in my old PSU doesn't work either. Thanks.

Check your setup in bios. And make sure your cd drive is empty.
April 23, 2012 7:41:28 PM

Chaz21 said:
Check your setup in bios. And make sure your cd drive is empty.

i've looked in my bios and the only thing that's there is my disc drive, no hard drive is being detected
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 7:44:25 PM

Make sure all the cables to your hard drive are firmly seated.
April 23, 2012 7:51:09 PM

sk1939 said:
Make sure all the cables to your hard drive are firmly seated.

I'm pretty sure they are, i've taken it out and put it back in numerous times
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 7:55:44 PM

Hard drive is probably dead then, or the cable is bad. Try swapping cables with the CD drive.
April 23, 2012 8:02:10 PM

sk1939 said:
Hard drive is probably dead then, or the cable is bad. Try swapping cables with the CD drive.

already tried swapping the cables, hard drive is probably screwed i guess
!