Status
Not open for further replies.

disinformatique

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hi,

I have a very mid range system and I would like to add a graphic card to it.

The configuration is as follows:-

Intel i3 530@ 2.93 GHZ
4GB 1333Mhz RAM
Intel HD55TC Motherboard
400W Power Supply.

I am basically wanting to enhance my graphic experience primarily to play WoW, DCUO and SWTOR. I am pretty much a MMO person.

Would love your suggestions.

Solution
These aren't bad suggestions, but that is quite a low resolution and the HD 5670 would have no problems maxing out. The PSU and video card recommendation above is fine, but then if you upgrade the monitor I would wonder about that CPU bottlenecking.

In other words I'm not sure how much I'd invest in that system just to run games at 1600X900. The HD 5670 would get you by for now until you are ready for a system upgrade.
Welcome to the forums,
You've done well giving us your specs and some software you want to run. When asking for video card advice it is essential to provide your monitor resolution in order to get the best advice, something everyone seems to forget.

You also didn't mention which power supply, but I'll assume its an avg PSU. I'd recommend for you to look at the HD 5670. It does not require a pci express power connector and is a very powerful card for such a low power draw. It would be suitable for gaming up to 1080p, but maybe not all the settings on ultra.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I'm guessing this is a pre-built system and you're currently using Intel HD graphics? You will likely need to get a new PSU to go along with your new graphics card. Your CPU is a dual-core, but it does support hypertheading so it should be decent enough. What are you looking to spend?

disinformatique

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for pointing that out, I have an LG E2041T and my resolution is at 1600x900. The specs for the monitor can be found here http://www.lg.com/in/computer-products/led-monitor/LG-E2041T.jsp

Cheers,
Chris

disinformatique

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Hi GM,

I basically assembled this machine way back in 2010 just for working from home as i used to work 10-13 hrs a day and had little time to do anything else.

I have looked into high end graphic cards as well but buying the high end graphics for such low end machine would basically waste the potential of the graphics card all in all and I am not looking to assemble a new machine as I will be moving out of the country in the next 8-10 months.

Will switching to a 750W PSU be a better choice ? or should I go for less?

Money is not an issue, I just want to get something for this configuration without revamping the entire hardware. :)

These aren't bad suggestions, but that is quite a low resolution and the HD 5670 would have no problems maxing out. The PSU and video card recommendation above is fine, but then if you upgrade the monitor I would wonder about that CPU bottlenecking.

In other words I'm not sure how much I'd invest in that system just to run games at 1600X900. The HD 5670 would get you by for now until you are ready for a system upgrade.

Solution

disinformatique

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Hi Buzz,
Thanks a tonne, I wont be upgrading the monitor for the next year or so, not unless i move to a new location and get a better upgraded system.

I'll go with XFX HD5670 and get the XFX PSU just to be on the safer side :)

Cheers,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.