Need new MOBO advice!

Th0m3v

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello, community! I need some help picking up a new motherboard for my build.

My current build:
Corsair Carbide 300R Midi Tower
Intel® SSD 330 Series 120GB 2.5"
Gainward GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (2x4)
MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
Intel® Core i7-2700K Processor
Corsair CX 500W PSU BULK

I want a new motherboard that will allow me to overclock my 2700k. I might be going for SLI in the future.
Also, if someone gives me an answer to this, I'd like from your personal experience or just from your knowledge how far you think I could overclock it, and also what cooler that would be recommended.

Well with overclocking there just no guarantees but if you got a good chip you get 4.5GHZ easy and it's even possible to get 5.0GHZ of course it's all a gamble as for which motherboard and cooler that depends on your budget as well i wouldn't recommend buying anything less then GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H or ASUS P8Z77-V LK you might as well buy the newer motherboards since they support sandy bridge i do not see why not as for your cpu cooler go for COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO for mild overclocking if you want to overclock hardcore you would need something like Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE or a custom loop.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
If you want to go mATX, you could pick ASUS' P8Z77 M-Pro board. I have this board and I'm supremely satisfied with it. Despite its mATX form factor, the M-Pro has SLI support, UEFI Bios, and multiple other technologies that support overclocking.
The board even has preset modes that enable mild overclocks if you don't want to be intensive.

Gist: Small but fiesty http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131833&Tpk=p8z77-m%20pro

Of course, if I recommend the P8Z77 boards, I also have to mention the family's full ATX line boards.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I recommend ASRock mobos. Theri Z77 line is great at OC'ing and tjhey offer more features/price than ASUS or Gigabyte. I have OC'd the ASRock P67 with a i5 2500K for two years without a problem. They offer an easy to use UEFI and you can choose from a variety of levels from the Pro3 to the Extreme11. For serious OC'ing their OC Formula is a very interesting board. I currently run their Z77 Extreme6.

Love my Extreme4. Also think Asus -LK model is good around that price point as well (as previously stated).

Edit: I was going to go with the -LK originally then found the combo deal at the local Microcenter that effectively dropped the price of the Extreme4 to $90. Couldn't pass that up and glad I did. The ASRock has been extremely stable.

Th0m3v

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

When you say "buy the new motherboards since they support Sandy Bridge", what do you mean exactly, doesn't the motherboards you suggested like: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H support it? I don't understand exactly what's being said here, sorry, please enlighten me.

These are the newest motherboards for ivy and sandy yes the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H is supported
Quote: just read http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pugetsystems.com%2Fblog%2F2012%2F04%2F12%2Fz68-z77-and-h77-whats-the-difference%2F&ei=QMQ3Ud-bMqLcyQGY4YG4Bw&usg=AFQjCNE0rtGce3p3Z0up3FFw_N_1PEAGdw&sig2=8ZxBEPeYEr9LXJQXkkHtJg&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWc&cad=rja