Need a grapics card to help out a friend, dont know what to buy

Cuthroat12

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hello, I have set up a computer for a friend of mine to use with his HDTV (wireless keyboard and mouse). I let him use my backup PCI express graphics card for now and need to find a card that will work for his application. I have experience with graphics cards and upgrade a lot for gaming but never attached one to a TV. So I have no experience whatsoever with graphics cards and regular TV's. I used my GeForce 9600 GT (temporarily) so that he would have something to get him by. Here's the issues I had and the questions I need help with before I order him his own card;

Issue #1 Used adapter to get component out to the TV and the resolution was stretched larger than the screen (tried adjusting TV and everything, tried Nvidia settings, nothing worked)

Issue #2 Used HDMI and didn't have sound and there was not an input for a 3.5 mm plug on the TV for that specific input. I know there is a way to set up sound but how?!? I would rather built in sound on the graphics card if that exists to make set up easy.

Issue #3/temporary fix, I attached the TV to the graphics card using the component/s-video adapter and an S-Video cable for video and a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cord for stereo sound. The result; The video screen is smaller than the TV and looks horrible! It is working for now though.

What I am trying to do is get a card that will work at a high resolution 720-1080 with HDMI and built in sound (if it exists) or someway to use SPIFF out (what is SPIFF?) to get a audio signal through the HDMI output. I also heard that there are some cards out there with a built in video decoder/encoder (?) so that there is less stress on the CPU as well as a built in sound card. I don't know but basically all I am trying to achieve is a TV that can play simple video files on the web (news) and off the web (regular movies) and do some stuff on eBay. Very basic set up but I never did it so I don't know how, this is a Dell Dimension 8400 with 4 GB Ram that will be attached to a Panasonic Plasma HDTV 54" (no DVI input). I need to get my card back so I'm not trying to make the 9600 work, I just need to find a card designed for this application and I prefer one that has a fan. No gaming required so it doesn't need to be powerful. I was assuming I could find a new one for around $50-$75 max, maybe go used if I had to. Anyone have any thoughts? I really need to help this guy out because e-bay is how he makes a living, I don't want to waste his money on a card that doesn't deliver. I gave him the comp and am unhappy that he isint set, I am tempted to buy it for him. I know that this post is probably very confusing so please ask any questions you have. I was hoping for a card that I can plug in the comp, install and hook up HDMI cable and be done. I'm a fan of Nvidia but will do whats best. Any help is greatly appreciated and I promise will go to a good cause. Thanks.
:eek:

loneninja

Distinguished
ATI added audio support during the 4000 series, and I believe it's in all of their cards since. My 4670 can carry the audio and video to my HDTV with HDMI. Nvidia has added support at some point as well, but I don't know which cards specifically support these features.

It is frustrating, for some reason modern video card makers decided at some point that TV out didn't need to be available on gaming 3d cards. I think its a damn shame, but that is what we have to deal with. A video card has to have TV out functionality in order to send a signal to the TV, you can't just hook up an HDMI cable to any old video card.
Many of the newer motherboards are capable of 5.1 audio over HDMI with the onboard video. This tells me this is not an expensive feature to add to a video card. So you would have to find a video card that supports TV out. This would basically limit you to a TV card, but in this case it would be a great option since gaming isn't required.
You can find decent TV cards for around $50 that would provide quality Audio over HDMI.
Here's a place to start:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=47&name=Video-Devices-TV-Tuners

Also, if the motherboard has a SPDIF connector, and the TV does as well, then you would just need a cable to go between. SPDIF Audio is very good.

Cuthroat12

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I'm not trying to change channels, a cable box already exists with cable tv. Separate from the tv. I did hear of the ATI's support of this, I'm just still concerned that it the resolutions won't match.

Cuthroat12

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

This card seems perfect, seams like it would be as simple as plugging it in, updating drivers and plugging into tv. I'm going to read up a bit still but Thanks.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

its got hdmi for picture and sound. read the second link