Multiple POE ports

supert8ch

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I want to be able to setup 4 POE ports on a computer. I want be able setup a router software on the pc and use ports for either some POE equipment or regular LAN items. I want to install this in a mini tower with PCI slot. Thing is not sure of a card or software out there that I can do this with. And no I do not wish to use Linux, must be Windows XP or 7.

What are you trying to do? Give us an idea of your end state and we might be able to help you out.

The short answer is "No".

The longer answer is that PoE requires special DC equipment that puts voltage down the unused pairs on a Cat-5e cable. Its not big nor expensive, but its stuff (for lack of a better word) that you don't find available for PC's. If you were an EE you might be able to design a board or system to provide PoE, but if your looking for a off the shelf solution I think your SoL.

supert8ch

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I found this card but not sure if it will do what I am expecting in the end.

http://www.amazon.com/Port-POE-NIC-PCI-Card/dp/tech-data/B0042AVRWO/ref=de_a_smtd/187-4816865-6199065

I am looking to to have a pc equipped to take over the processes done with a network switch, this would also provide POE for a access point and remote data unit(POE), along with pc will handle capturing the data from the remote unit, manage the wireless access users. Dump the data when needed or called upon.

This would be a stand alone remote site application. I don't think I am out of line of what I am looking for just the right equipment to make this work. As with Linux and other OS, multiple nic cards can be used and router setup I am just looking to do this with one card as the pc will be a mini computer running on minimal power usage.