Silly question...maybe but

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 11, 2005 10:22:12 AM

Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
without going too deep into it.
(A bit like Sony for a stereo)

More about : silly question

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 10:50:41 AM

"Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
news:o whge.9350$31.4809@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
> without going too deep into it.
> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

Seriously Pete it depends how much you want to spend and what you are going
to do with it. Do you want D-SLR or P&S? And the answer may be Hasselblad
but you may not like the $50,000 price tag.

Oh yes and there is a couple of brands that are better than Sony, mind you
Sony do produce some reasonable stuff at reasonable prices.
May 11, 2005 10:59:21 AM

> "Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
> news:o whge.9350$31.4809@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> > ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the
best
> > without going too deep into it.
> > (A bit like Sony for a stereo)
> >

> Seriously Pete it depends how much you want to spend and what you are
going
> to do with it. Do you want D-SLR or P&S? And the answer may be Hasselblad
> but you may not like the $50,000 price tag.
>
> Oh yes and there is a couple of brands that are better than Sony, mind you
> Sony do produce some reasonable stuff at reasonable prices.

Yes I know Sony gets trumped by certain brands on some products but overall
they are very good.
I would say with my limited knowlege Canon,Pentax and Olympus are a safe
bet.
Thanks.
May 11, 2005 11:16:42 AM

Sony stereos, "best overall in quality"??? Pete, you need to get out more!
Sony is not what they used to be, and there are numerous stereos of much
greater quality, and performance.

Bill Crocker

"Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
news:o whge.9350$31.4809@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
> without going too deep into it.
> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:09:00 PM

"Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
news:D 3ige.9372$31.4650@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
>> news:o whge.9350$31.4809@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> > Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
>> > ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the
> best
>> > without going too deep into it.
>> > (A bit like Sony for a stereo)
>> >

>> Seriously Pete it depends how much you want to spend and what you are
> going
>> to do with it. Do you want D-SLR or P&S? And the answer may be Hasselblad
>> but you may not like the $50,000 price tag.
>>
>> Oh yes and there is a couple of brands that are better than Sony, mind
>> you
>> Sony do produce some reasonable stuff at reasonable prices.
>>

> Yes I know Sony gets trumped by certain brands on some products but
> overall
> they are very good.
> I would say with my limited knowlege Canon,Pentax and Olympus are a safe
> bet.
> Thanks.

D-SLR, Pentax , Canon , Nikon , Minolta, are all great, personally I don't
like the Oly's, sky's the limit on what you want to spend.

Large format, forget it.

P&S, basicly you get what you pay for, look for features that count, high
pixel count (5MP is heaps for most), AA batteries are a good idea especially
if it will run on alkalines at a pinch, compact flash, memory stick or SD
memory cards are fine, XD cards have limited capacity and are generally more
expensive.
The one thing that many forget is that is that the camera that you decide
to get must handle well in your hands, no good if someone else likes it but
it does not suit you.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:22:27 PM

Pete wrote:

> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
> without going too deep into it.
> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

I'm afraid this is actually a silly question.

: - (

Well, good to ask anyways but the answer is that it's a silly question;
brand can't be used to pick a camera these days. Even Panasonic (Radio
Shack) makes some great cameras.

Not meaning to pick on you, just to answer honestly.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Pete wrote:
> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
> without going too deep into it.
> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

I don't see how you can miss with medium to high price point Nikon,
Canon, or Kodak. Cheaper, is usually just that, cheaper, regardless of
manufacturer.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Pete wrote:
> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the
> best without going too deep into it.
> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

Not really, Most of the makes have good products. You need to figure
out what kind of camera and features you have then compare those cameras
that fit your needs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:18:40 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:22:27 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

> Even Panasonic (Radio Shack) makes some great cameras.

What's the link between Panasonic and Radio Shack? In local RS
stores I haven't noticed any cameras with RS logos, but they sell a
lot of cameras manufactured by other companies. Samsung, Fuji, HP
and at least a half dozen other companies.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:48:03 AM

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Pete wrote:
>
>> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
>> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
>> without going too deep into it.
>> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)
>
> I'm afraid this is actually a silly question.
>
> : - (
>
> Well, good to ask anyways but the answer is that it's a silly question;
> brand can't be used to pick a camera these days. Even Panasonic (Radio
> Shack) makes some great cameras.
>
> Not meaning to pick on you, just to answer honestly.
>

> --
> Paul Furman
> http://www.edgehill.net/1
> san francisco native plants

Paul, I think it best you keep to your plants because it is obvious that you
know nothing of electronic equipment, you may well take out silliest post
for the year.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:48:04 AM

Pete D wrote:

> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>
>>Pete wrote:
>>

>>>Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
>>>ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
>>>without going too deep into it.
>>>(A bit like Sony for a stereo)
>>
>>I'm afraid this is actually a silly question.
>>
>>: - (
>>
>>Well, good to ask anyways but the answer is that it's a silly question;
>>brand can't be used to pick a camera these days. Even Panasonic (Radio
>>Shack) makes some great cameras.
>>
>>Not meaning to pick on you, just to answer honestly.
>>

>>--
>>Paul Furman
>>http://www.edgehill.net/1
>>san francisco native plants
>

> Paul, I think it best you keep to your plants because it is obvious that you
> know nothing of electronic equipment, you may well take out silliest post
> for the year.

What? <straight faced>
I guess I'm wrong about Panasonic's relationship with Radio Shack? You
think they don't make (some) good cameras? The only case where chosing
brand above all else is with DSLRs where you are buying into a lens system.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
san francisco native plants
May 12, 2005 2:00:42 AM

I think it is stupid to buy Sony for most stereo equipment but would buy a
Sony television over other brands selling similar models for a third less.
Start by deciding how much you want to spend on a camera, look at the
styles and features and ask a better thought out question. Otherwise you
might end up with something great that is completely inappropriate for you.
Or you could simply buy the latest 7,000 dollar Nikon or Canon and, being
unable to use it, simply brag about how you bought "the best".

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
news:o whge.9350$31.4809@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
> without going too deep into it.
> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:01:54 AM

"Pete" <Petethem.@mail.com.> wrote in message
news:o whge.9350$31.4809@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

You set low standards?
H.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 12:03:19 AM

> Pete wrote:
>> Which brand(s) has the best overall cameras in quality?
>> ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
>> without going too deep into it.
>> (A bit like Sony for a stereo)
>>

> I don't see how you can miss with medium to high price point Nikon, Canon,
> or Kodak. Cheaper, is usually just that, cheaper, regardless of
> manufacturer.

Well, cheaper could also mean less features that you don't need, especially
when we're talking the same manufacturer.

You have to decide what your needs are and get a camera that fits those
needs. A Ferrari is a great car, but if you have a wife and three kids you
are going to need a different or a second car to meet your needs. A DSLR
will give you lots of options and settings but won't fit in your pocket. A
Pentax Optio will fit in your pocket but doesn't have interchangeable
lenses.

My theory is to look for digital cameras with brand names that have been in
the photography business for years, before digital. They know photography
and what a good image is supposed to look like. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 7:58:08 AM

Sheldon <sheldon@xxxxxxxxsopris.net> wrote:

: My theory is to look for digital cameras with brand names that have
: been in the photography business for years, before digital. They know
: photography and what a good image is supposed to look like. Nikon,
: Canon, Olympus, etc.

One other concideration (along these lines) is that many camera
manufacturers use the same CCD chip design (from the same chip
manufacturer). So the difference between the cameras is in the design of
the camera and the software. So finding a camera that fits your needs and
hands may have a bigger impact than brand name. But one last thing to
concider is the lens. P&S camera manufacturers tend to make their own
lenses. Those with a long history of making good lenses (Kodak, Pentax,
Canon, Nikon, etc) will likely apply that experience to the new lenses.
More off brand cameras may have less accurate lens manufacturing and thus
the photos may have some aberations or soft focus areas that can be
attributed to the lens. Any lens manufacturer can make a poor lens as a
new on the market brand can make an exceptional lens, but more experience
can make the odds of a good to excellent lens more likely.

JMHO

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL