Roelstra

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I've been dealing with a series of issues that I think are all really related to my CPU. Initially the problem was a TDR issue between Windows and my video card. After doing some investigating I managed to disabled TDR all together at which point I continued to get system crashes, just without a TDR notification.

After working on the machine for a while I noticed that the longer that I left it offline the longer that it would remain online and stable.

After some additional troubleshooting I ended up in my BIOS and noticed that my CPU temp was at 59C and rising. It stopped 65-66C.

Below are my specs

i5 2500K
8 gig ddr3
1TB HDD
GTX 460
MSI 967a-c43
700W OCZ 80(silver) PSU

Everything is running stock speeds except the video card which is running with factory overclocking.

What I'm suspecting is that for whatever reason the CPU is no longer cooling correctly however my experience with CPUs is rather limited and I wasn't sure what the idle temp should really be at.

This is running in an open case with a stock Intel heatsink and fan with an ambient room temp of about 75F.

I've reseated the processor and the heatsink and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with them.

My current thoughts are to pull the board and make sure the heatsink is seated correctly, apply some fresh themal paste or replace the heatsink/fan unit. This of course assumes that the CPU itself isn't somehow the cause of the issue.

Roelstra

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I took the board out of the case and reseated everything and repasted and resealed the CPU and the heatsink. I fired up and it crashed to a white screen with stuttering audio at the Windows login screen. Restarted in to the BIOS and the temp seems to be rising from 50C. It got to 57C before I exited, restarted and it managed to get logged in and I'm at the desktop at the moment. I downloaded Core Temp 1.0 RC3 for something a bit more accurate.

My Tj Max is 98C

My 4 cores are fluctuating from 29C to the mid to high 30s.

So for I'm idling at my desktop with nothing more than Chrome, Core Temp and some inconsequential background apps running like DynDNS and Daemon tools.

The crash I experienced following the restart has me concerned that this isn't a heat issue or that the processor has been damaged as a result of the heat.

Roelstra

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Shortly after my previous post the machine crashed. The screen flickered a couple of times and I lost the ability to interact with the GUI. The mouse stopped to respond shortly after that.

I'm open to suggestions. This has been going on for days now and I'm seriously considering demonstrating the fine art of defenestration using my pc as the example.

Hi :)

STOP RUNNING before you can walk..lol

The ONLY true temp reading you will get is in the Bios...

Go into the Bios and sit and watch the temps for a COUPLE OF HOURS....

If its fine...THEN GO INTO Windows...

If its NOT fine...go back and do that heatsink PROPERLY....

All the best Brett :)

Roelstra

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
The heat sink is mounted properly. I removed the old paste from the heatsink and the CPU with alcohol, put fresh paste on and mounted it while the board was removed from the case. The pegs are clear through the mounting holes and their is no lateral or vertical movement on the heat sink. The power is correctly connected and the fan is spinning properly.

I let the machine idle at the bios for several hours and at start the temp was reading 50C and proceeded to climb and float at around 65-66C like previously. The temp seems high but stable. Also while in windows Core Temp never showed any significant increases or fluctuations in the temp prior to the crash.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe something else is going on with the machine.

Hi :)

50 TO 65 AT IDLE IS too HIGH...

You either need to reseal it again or get a heatsink/fan unit that actually works....

Its that..nothing else...

All the best Brett :)

Roelstra

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I picked up an after market heat sink and fan unit. Essentially a third party knock off of the Intel heatsink/fan set. Mounted it and began testing. I didn't see any change in the temperatures and the system was still unstable when it would do something more than issue a process failure at POST.

I managed to get my hands on a known good test bed machine. I dropped the i3 in to my old machine and experienced the same issues. I dropped my i5 in to the Opti and it's been running fine for a couple of hours now.

My downed machine also exhibited a new symptom. Graphical artifacts have begun to appear in my BIOS. 1.5 inch horizontal lines about a quarter inch apart. It looks like green railroad ties running up and down the screen.

I think I may be in need of a new motherboard.

Roelstra

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Updated the bios, no change. Went ahead and picked up a new motherboard. ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Dropped it in, fired right up using the on board video. It gets stuck on "Legacy Option ROM Initialization" when using my GTX 460 but loads fine with my GT9800. Gonna call this one fixed and open a new post to get some assistance with this new issue. Thanks for all the help.