Need some advice on a computer build.

viper786

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I am looking to build a new computer and have been doing a lot of research over the past few days. I have most of the parts picked out, but there are still some components I would like some advice picking out. I will be using this computer for gaming, programming, web design, and normal everyday use.

This is what I have picked out so far. I am adding links to where I will be getting the parts from. The processor and motherboard are the ones I am getting for sure. If someone has some recommendations for better parts around a similar price range for some of the other components, I am open to suggestions.

Processor: Intel i5-2500k - $179.99
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - $159.99 (After 50 dollar discount if bought with processor)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II - $79.99
Cooling Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - $29.99

I already have 8gb of DDR3 RAM, a DVD burner, and a hard drive.

The parts I need help picking out are a case and a video card.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 1-2 weeks.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Not right away, but definitely in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I have looked at so many cases and have NO idea which one to go with. Same thing goes for the video card. I would prefer if the case has USB 3.0 but it's definitely not a deal breaker. I am looking to stay below $150 for a case and around $250 for the video card.

Any advice is appreciated. Again, if anyone has some better recommendations for the cooling fan or power supply, I am definitely open to suggestions.

g-unit1111

Titan
Additional Comments: I have looked at so many cases and have NO idea which one to go with. Same thing goes for the video card. I would prefer if the case has USB 3.0 but it's definitely not a deal breaker. I am looking to stay below $150 for a case and around $250 for the video card.

That all depends on what you want to spend - there's some really excellent cases at all price levels. As for the video card that also depends on how much you want to spend but the difference between choosing a Radeon or a Geforce depends on whether or not you want to use more than one display either now or in the future.

g-unit1111

Titan

In that case I'd actually recommend spending less on the case and more on the video card. You can get a really quality case for $99 and then spend the difference on getting a GTX 570.

For the case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007

For the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130613

viper786

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

That's a good idea. I was actually considering the Corsair 400R. I really appreciate your input. Unless someone else has any other recommendations, I will most likely go with the Corsair 400R case and the GTX 570.

If you do not already have it (and cannot return it), please select an alternate cooler instead of the Coolermaster unit. This review indicates that Coolermaster is a dishonest company, which IMHO does not deserve anyone's business for ANY of its products: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9
Fortunately, in every market in which it competes, there are products of similar quality and design (e.g. Xigmatek for CPU coolers) for the same price, so you lose nothing for refusing to support a dishonest business.

g-unit1111

Titan

Corsair makes some excellent cases - I have the Graphite 600T, and you really can't go wrong with any of theirs.

Ew, no. Do not get a Xigmatek cooler - I had one and had so many problems with it, and I eventually lost a motherboard because of it. I really like my Hyper 212 and I've never had any problems with Cooler Master. I know I wouldn't trust their PSUs, but I've owned a couple of cases of theirs and they've been really good, and I have a Hyper 212 and it's been really good as well.

viper786

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
The only things I currently have are the hard drive, RAM and DVD drive. The cooler master got really great reviews and I have seen many recommendations for it in my threads here. I appreciate the input though.

g-unit, thanks for your input on your experience with your Hyper 212.

g-unit1111

Titan

Seasonic makes excellent PSUs (they're the OEM for Antec, Corsair, and a few others). 620 may be a bit underpowered for a 570 and especially if you plan to do any sort of overclocking. You'll want to go with a 700 minimum, maybe 750 just to be on the safe side.

g-unit, thanks for your input on your experience with your Hyper 212.

No problem - I've used tons of different fans with different results. I really like the Hyper 212 as my workstation actually runs like 20'C cooler than my gaming system which gets incredibly hot with a double heat sink fan even on idle (I'm switching that out but haven't decided what I'm going with yet). The Xigmatek fan I've used was probably the worst fan I've ever owned - there's too many loose parts, and incredibly cheap thermal paste. When I installed it, I was getting temperature read errors left and right.

viper786

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thermal Paste - that reminds me. Does the processor come with thermal paste? If not, what kind should I get?

Also which power supply should I get? Is the more expensive one worth the extra 30 bucks? Or are the ones in the link below too expensive and I should look at something else?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001697%2040000058%20600014023&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SpeTabStoreType=1&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&CompareItemList=58%7C17-151-107%5E17-151-107-TS%2C17-151-087%5E17-151-087-TS