Sign in with
Your question

Help building 3D Design Computer

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2012 7:41:47 PM

Hi All,

I have been snooping around this and other forums for quite a while trying to learn as much as I can, but need some professional help putting this computer together. This will be my first computer build. I have tinkered, and done upgrades ect on current system, but project keep getting bigger, and it about freezes on the screen when making movies.

I do 3D Cad design work, Direct X, and Auto Cad. Also make motion movies of these 3D designs. This is quite similar to 3d gaming design in many ways. I currently am using 2 monitors, but would like to have 3. My stuff approaches some high end gaming as far as size.
Looking for a budget around 2K or less, or more if needed. Not looking to impress others, just want the best and fastest for my own good.

January 12, 2012 3:12:08 AM

Ok,
Lets try this again.

This is what I have come up with.

Plan on building within the next couple of weeks.
Last update is killing my current system.

In the US

Purchasing from multiple sources.

I am planning on running 3 Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23" monitors.

Motherboard

Intel DP67BGB3 Desktop Extreme Board

CPU

Intel Core i7-2600K

CPU Cooler

Corsair Hydro H100 CPU Liquid Cooler

RAM

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB (4 x 4GB)

Video Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 590

Sound Card

Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium

Hard Drives

Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB

Crucial m4 2.5" 64GB Solid State Drive

Optical Drive

Lite-On 12X 3D Internal Blu-Ray Writer

Case

Corsair Obsidian 650D

Will the 590 fit ok?

Power Supply

Corsair TX850W

Any Suggestions or concerns would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
January 12, 2012 2:00:49 PM

My advice is to buy 2 X 8 gb RAM. Because if you have 4X4GB ram you don't have the posibility to upgrade the memory because all the slots will be ocupied , maybe you will need more. The programs with what you work need a lot of memory and use a lot of memory.
That 590 will fit with your build and power supply.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2012 1:00:25 AM

Soso,
That makes sense,

Actually, Ram is cheap so how about just going crazy with the CORSAIR DOMINATOR 32GB (4 x 8GB)

Also second thinking the Mobo, what do you think about the
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

I think that should give me a system that will take me well into the future.

m
l
January 13, 2012 5:21:43 AM

If you are going to be doing a lot of 3D work and not any gaming, get a Quadro card. Quadro cards are professional GPUs that are optimized for professional 3D applications whereas consumer cards, like the GTX 590, is geared towards gaming. In the 3D modeling world, a $300 Quadro card will run circles around a $750 consumer card.
m
l
January 13, 2012 6:00:27 PM

Anyone else with knowledge of the Quadro cards.

As far as cost, the Quadro 2000 is about $300.00 cheaper
the 4000 is the same price.
Looking at the specs the fx4800 comes closest to the 590 and it is over $1,100.
Also wanting to run triple monitors.
m
l
January 13, 2012 6:31:14 PM

well my and my friends are building something similar, but instead of quadro cards, were using 6990 quad xfire, and 16gb ram on an i7 2600K, since he likes to load stuff on 3d, music, autocad and while waiting play some nice games with good graphics and of course on decent fps, but if your geared to 590 go get it, it's also worth it if you also want to game on the pc while doing nothing, and imo it's plenty good although some quadro cards would run circles on it while the 590 would wipe the floor with a quadro if you play games, but anyways go 590 or 2 of them if you can afford with 16gb of ram if you do heavy applications, or games at the same time with heavy applications,
m
l
!