Sign in with
Your question

GTX 590 SLI Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2011 8:42:14 PM

Would 2 GTX 590's bottleneck my system? I have an i-7 950 oc'd to 3.4 gHz,12 gb of RAM oc'd to 1600mHz,and a Gigabyte X58-USB-3.Reason I ask is because a friend of mine told me that if I go higher,that I should consider getting a better motherboard and a better processor.
Mobo I might want -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and the processor is an i7 2600k,or an i7 2700k which just came out more recently.

I am powering 3-27 inch Acer 3d monitors.
Or should I just wait and see what the other Intel releases have to offer in the near future?

More about : gtx 590 sli question

a c 1363 U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 9:03:15 PM

With 3 monitors on extended res your system is fine! Not many better CPU's than an I7 @3.4GHz, i would wait!
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 9:06:12 PM

You can probably go a little more higher with the cpu if it starts to bottleneck and don't forget some games like BF3 are gpu intensive so it's all on the gpu and the cpu isn't going to get in the way. Of course if you have the cash and you really want a new mobo and cpu (who doesn't like buying new components) then by all means you should. One of the articles I have read recently here at Tom's wasn't to impressed with the next release from Intel so it might be the next release after that for everyone to jump in.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 9:09:50 PM

For a quad-sli setup you probably want http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That one gives 16x/16x in SLI. Since a 590 is two GPUs in one, getting a mobo that only does 8x/8x means each GPU only gets a 4x PCIe lane. Will it bottleneck a 950 at 3.4ghz? Probably, so you definitely want to get at least a i5-2500k. An i7-2700k is basically a 2600k but with slightly higher OC headroom (ex. 4.7ghz vs. 5.0ghz). SBE will be released in a little over a month, but won't really offer much gaming performance compared to the current Sandy Bridge until games utilize more than 4 cores (won't be for a while). Ivy Bridge will come after that, and most Z68 mobos will support Ivy Bridge in the future so you could upgrade without too much trouble. There are no benchmarks to my knowledge of Ivy Bridge though, so I can't say how much difference the performance will be with current Sandy Bridge CPUs.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 9:36:56 PM

I think you'll be completely fine. If you're really looking to upgrade CPU/MB, hold out until May/April/whenever for Ivybridge chipset. Supposedly a 20% performance boost over Sandy Bridge.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2011 10:42:48 PM

I mean a I7 2600k running at 4.7 bottlenecks with 3x 580s at 5780 resolution.
Why do you want to run 2 of them? Do you want to break some 3dmark records? You need 580s for that by the way.
Why not use one spaceheater and see how it goes? You can always buy a can of LN2 and another 590 if you feel the performance suck with one.
m
l
November 25, 2011 3:17:48 PM

gmcizzle said:
For a quad-sli setup you probably want http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That one gives 16x/16x in SLI. Since a 590 is two GPUs in one, getting a mobo that only does 8x/8x means each GPU only gets a 4x PCIe lane. Will it bottleneck a 950 at 3.4ghz? Probably, so you definitely want to get at least a i5-2500k. An i7-2700k is basically a 2600k but with slightly higher OC headroom (ex. 4.7ghz vs. 5.0ghz). SBE will be released in a little over a month, but won't really offer much gaming performance compared to the current Sandy Bridge until games utilize more than 4 cores (won't be for a while). Ivy Bridge will come after that, and most Z68 mobos will support Ivy Bridge in the future so you could upgrade without too much trouble. There are no benchmarks to my knowledge of Ivy Bridge though, so I can't say how much difference the performance will be with current Sandy Bridge CPUs.

In Maximum PC magazine>they show the benchmarks for the new Sandy Bridge E and it is far better than they expected. In Far Cry 2 it has 51 more FPS..that's a big increase.
m
l
!