Upgrading laptop memory

Duefuglen

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi everybody, I have just gotten 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance Ram for my Asus n56vm laptop but after inserting them the windows index lowered my hdd score from 7,9 to 7,7 and my ram score stayed at 7,5. I then installed Cpu-z and looked under the memory section and it says the Dram Frequency is at 798,3 MHz but the ram are supposed to be at 1600 MHz

Im completely new to upgrading computers, but how do I get the ram to work at 1600 MHz? and how does my hdd get a lower score from new ram?

besides the ram i upgraded the HDD to an SSD about three month ago (OCZ Agility 3 240 GB)

Duefuglen

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Of course I have read the manual.

but it just says that I should buy the RAM from a certified vendor and that installation shouldn't require any hard- or software-installation (including BIOS)

dingo07

Distinguished
well... your only option is to enter BIOS and try to see what's available foryou to change... or install an overclock software and hope that wll allow you to modify the settings

CPU-Z showed Ram Speed @798 AKA that is 800 MHz. Cpu-z should have also shown that it was in daul channel mode.
Hense 800 x 2 = 1600. SO Ram is running at the correct speed.

HDD (Your SSD), is a Agility III SSD is a POOR excuse for a SATA III SSD (sorry to be blunt, and yes it is still wayyyyy faster than a HDD - Also Yes I have a Pair of them).
Reason: It uses Asynchronous NAND Cells and as shown in one review it does NOT perform any faster on a SATA III port than on a SATA II port - also verified this with my Agility III. Typically this drive only gets aout a 7.2->7.6 for WEI after a short period of Usage. Your 7.9 was based on a 240 gig (vs the 120 gig drive) and probably done right after install. Bottom Line here is be HAPPY with your 7.7 NOT caused by adding RAM
WEI 7.9 is Max for win7 and should only be abtained by the "higher end" SSDs using Toggle NAND and Synchronous NAND chips that do benifit from SATA III.