Sign in with
Your question

First homebuilt pc

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2012 7:48:31 PM

Hey guys

I am trying to put together a pc for home use. I have never tried anything like this before but i have done some research on the matter. My skill level is beginner and i have a very limited understanding of software, hardware-compatibility and such. Firstly i would like a pc that can play the latest games (crysis) and render excellent graphics in all aspects, and i would like it to be as silent as economically possible. My budget is around 2000 dollars, but i live in The Faroe Islands (extremily remote) and i am focusing mainly on the danish market as Danmark is the nearest country. Where to order from is however open to discussion.
Secondly i consider this a learning experience. The idea is to build it myself so as to get to know all the components as well as i can. I have a growing interest in computers and i want this one to last me a couple of years in to the future and still be compatible. I think this is a great way to get started. I do however use my current laptop alot and intend to do so with the pc aswell, so demands are pretty high. It will funktion as a multimedia platform connected to my stereo and 46" tv.

I have to the best of my abilities put together a list of hardware that i reckon should do the job.

Prosessor: Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge

Prosessor cooling: Corsair H100 Hydro Series

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

Graphics card(s): ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 (Two of these)

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (4x)

System harddrive: OCZ Vertex 3 SSD - 120 GB

Harddrive: Seagate 2000 GB harddisk

Cabinet: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

GPU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W

Monitor: Samsung 23'' S23A700D 3D Monitor

So what do you guys think? I think i´m missing a wireless netcard (or whatever its called) in there, but somehow i am unable to find one. I chose to put the complete list up because it is after all a complete system i am after. I you guys notice something missing in the list, besides mouse and cables, then please let me know. I need all the help I can get

I would very much appreciate any and all adwise

Kind regards

Lavamadurin

More about : homebuilt

January 11, 2012 8:17:24 PM

Processor- for gaming and general use you can go with the i5-2500k instead of the i7, you won't notice a difference

Cooling- if you want to go with that it's fine, but you will get roughly the same performance out of a cheaper air cooled such as the hyper 212 evo

Cabinet (case)- deactivated on newegg, not a lot of reviews. I would suggest looking for a different one, depending on your budget you can go with the haf-x, the nzxt phantom, the regular haf, something like that

Hard Drive- Prices are outrageous, if you have a spare or can reuse the one from your old computer I would suggest it until prices drop in the beginning of the summer (if they drop)

Ram- 16gb is overkill, you will have plenty if you just get 8gb's

Video card- you will probably be better off with a single card, such as a gtx 580 (around 450-500) or a 560ti (around 300). You can also check out the 7970 (bit more than the 580) or the 6950/6970. Any of those cards will be beastly in your rig

Motherboard- I would suggest going with a gigabyte or asrock mobo (nice ones for 130-200). Asus is a good brand but $200 is a bit much for a board. You will get the same performance out of a cheaper one

PSU- 800w is a bit overkill but I wouldnt change it out in case you want to get a second video card in the future (if you take my advice and look at a more rpicey single card)

There is definitely nothing wrong with the parts you chose, it's just a bit overkill for what you want to do with it. If you bought that setup tomorrow you wouldn't have any complaints (except maybe micro-stuttering between the video cards, google it to get some info on what it does and how it affects performance)

As for a vendor to purchase all of this, I am in the US and not familiar with any sites overseas. You can go to newegg.com and check around for parts, but I don't think you would be able to order from them
January 12, 2012 1:16:18 AM

Your build list is shaping up really well.

CPU - agree with the i5 2500K. Really is a great price/performance processor

CPU Cooling - I have a preference for air over LCS unless you're going to water cool your entire system on a loop. The CM Hyper 212 Evo is great... if you're after a little more performance have a look at the 612.

Mobo - great choice. You are paying more for Asus but that's your call.

GPU - SLI gtx 560Ti are awesome performance wise for the money... Just ensure you get the 'Ti' model of those ones listed if you can

RAM - an 8GB Kit is plenty enough at the moment. Corsair DDR3 1600MHz as you list is the good stuff. (I would get 'Low Profile' style if you can find it.)

SSD - I don't have a problem with the OCZ Vertex 3. I have one and have installed a couple of others... never had a problem. A lot of others are trashing that model at the moment. For my money... it's a lot cheaper than the Crucial M4 or Corsair Force Series models and offers great performance. Though if it is similarly priced to the M4 or Corsair I'd take them.

HDD - what ever you can get at the moment...

Case - Love the CM 690 II. Heaps of features. Solid Build Quality. Cools well. Not overly expensive

PSU - For the 2 x gtx 560Ti get at least a 750W. I don't necessarily pay the premium for a Gold rated PSU, but I definitely stick with quality brands Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX and rated 80 plus.
Related resources
January 12, 2012 6:03:56 PM

Thanks for the good advise guys. Very informative posts.

The main reason I put the water cooler in there is because i´m worried about fan-noice. I dont know, just guessed it might be more quiet than air cooling. Another reason is that this could potentially allow me to place the case inside my TV-desk, and the rad could be on the outside, thus moving the heat to the outside.

Are there any drawbacks of using water cooling compared to air?

I think i´ll take your advise about the mobo and go for a Gigabyte. I am however not that sure of what specifications to look for when choosing a mobo. Any advise perhaps on what to prioritize when i go look for one?

The SLI idea is really just guess work on my part. I figured it might be more value for money to go for two lower spec GPU´s and get 2 gigs, than a "new and extreme" GPU wit 2 gigs. My logic here is that the higher spec GPU have a larger "drooling-factor" and that is a relatively large part of the price. Just guess work.
I´m really out of my comfort zone when considering GPU´s.
I did some research on the web but i was unable to find any conclusive answers. About half the stuff i read said SLI is better, and the other half that a single GPU is the best option. It was even harder to find any argumentation for any of the answers.
Some said that SLI could render smoother graphics because of load sharing. Others said that a single GPU is more stable.
Still, i do see the point in buying a more expensive single GPU and then upgrade the pc later on when games become more demanding, with another one.

I have a question tho. If i go for two GPU´s, will i be able to use the HDMI on both of them? More monitors? Probably a stupid question.
January 12, 2012 6:13:13 PM

I've heard those water coolers are actually noisier than a 120+mm air cooled heatsink. Dual GPU setups are more complicated than single setups in that there are sometimes issues with artifacts or micro stuttering and some games don't support it, they use more power and generate more heat. Also, if you use 2x 1gb cards in SLI, you don't get 2gb as they share a copy of one card's memory so you still only have 1gb.
January 12, 2012 6:21:45 PM

560 non-ti SLI is not something you should go with. Get a single 570 first, I think that's about the price of the SLI config, probably less. It's going to be fine for a single monitor. You can then add a second one later if necessary. Overall it seems quite fine though.

BTW, your languages is one of the coolest ones still alive on this planet that I know of. I love Týr; I just missed their gig here in Finland unfortunately :( 
!