GTX 560 TI 6 PIN QUESTION

I have purchased a 700W power source with a 6 pin PCI slot , the Nvidia 560 card I am looking at purchasing has TWO six pin PCI slots in it , am I correct in thinking only one needs connecting to the power supply and the other is to join two video cards for SLI , or do I need two six pin slots in my power supply??
6 answers Last reply
More about question
  1. You will need to connect two 6pins per GTX560

That means in SLI you will need four 6pins
  2. If you already have the PSU, then just get a 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCIe adapter. I wouldn't suggest using three of them (if you wanted to SLI and the PSU only came with 1 6-pin PCIe connector) unless you know what you are doing, since you could put too much current through a wire. One adapter is perfectly safe though.
  3. kaweee said:
    You will need to connect two 6pins per GTX560

That means in SLI you will need four 6pins

The unit I bought is a Coolmax CU-700 , it appears to have a red PCI express 6 pin connection and two more 6 pins connectors for peripherals , could I use one of them for the second 6 pin cable?
  4. Use the 6pin that is labelled as PCI Express 6pin connection
  5. Yes you can
  6. gstanley said:
    The unit I bought is a Coolmax CU-700 , it appears to have a red PCI express 6 pin connection and two more 6 pins connectors for peripherals , could I use one of them for the second 6 pin cable?

The Coolmax 700 has two 6 pin PCIe power connectors.

The 2X2 (2 yellow wires and 2 black wires) and 4x2 (4 yellow wires and 4 black wires) connectors are for CPU power. They cannot be used to power a video card. The connectors are not supposed to fit PCIe power plugs. And if they did, you would be shorting 12 volts to ground because they are wired differently.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies PCI Graphics