Help - System Won't Turn On

mattantonucci

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hey,

I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong location. I just built my first machine (below) and it won't power up. I'm almost positive I have everything hooked up correctly, but nothing happens when I hit the power button.

The case I'm using is a Define R4, and there were a few cables coming from the Front Side that I didn't know what to do with. I correctly identified the smaller cables for the Start Button, Reset Button, and Power Light. However, there was one power cable (a thicker 4 pin cable) that I assume is for the Fan controller and three with only two pins, not sure what those are for. Are those needed to start the computer?

If that's not the issue, would it be the Power Supply? Is there a way to test the Power Supply without the motherboard/case?

I'm not sure what type of advice you guys could give, but anything would be helpful. I'm sorry if this post is all over the place, but I'm not sure how to attack this.

gigabyte ga-Z77X-UD3H
intel i5-3570k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600
GeForce GTX 670
Corsair 600W ATX12V

Thanks in advance!
Matt

mattantonucci

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Yes, that is connected, as well as the 24 pin connector.

When I hit the power button, nothing happens. The power supply doesn't seem to change, the fans don't turn on, no lights turn on. I thought it could be my case, but I have the Front Side connections for the Power Button, Reset Button, and LEDs all connected correctly (positive vs negative.)

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The 4-pin connector coming from the mass of cables of the front is probably for the speaker (if there is an internal speaker (it's usually black and red wires). A fan connector looks more like the connector on the cpu fan (usually white) and not a thin black 4-pin connector (tha't the internal spkr connector).

16 gb of ram is a guzzler for power, try just 8gb, that's all you need for gaming, 16gb is best used with software applications (like Autocad, video editing, programming) or in use with virtual drives.

600 watts is not so generous, perhaps 750 watts would best suit you, especially with the extra ram.

You do need thermal paste between the cpu and the heatsink, also if the cpu is AMD then you need a heatsink that completely covers the cpu otherwise it doesn't disspiate the heat proerly.

mattantonucci

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hey guys,

Thank you so much for all the responses. I tested the PSU and it worked using the paper clip test. I followed the rest of everyone's advice, but no luck. After reading this post on a different part of the forum, I realized I made two mistakes.

1. I didn't install the Stand Offs under the Motherboard. Luckily I never shorted out my motherboard when it was touching the metal part of the case.
2. I used an embarrassing amount of Thermal Paste on the CPU. So much, that it oozed off the CPU onto the motherboard. I cleaned it all using some rubbing alcohol and left a very minimal amount on the CPU.

After I did these two things, I finally saw the Motherboard light turn on and was able to boot up. Thanks for all the help guys!

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
How are things now? Thermal Paste is corrosive, it will chew through the PCB board like acid.

It is good that you resolved the issue yourself, you need to give us as much information as possible, even small mistakes on your part can add up to unsurmountable errors that could result in a dead PC.

It is embarrassing to having to admit mistakes but at least you have done so, and now we have learnt new things about the problems that happen with builds - standoffs and thermal paste.