Imoen unjustly killed!

Here's what happened: while fightiung the Sahuagins I
stoneskinned/mirror imaged Imoen and Aerie and sent them
forward to get the attention of the fish archers. Imoen, despite
having both stoneskins and mirror images remaining suddenly,
and despite there not being any actual physical damage received,
dropped dead.

Here's what I think happened: The Sahuagins had activated their
archer special ability which at their level saps strength from their
target when hit (2 strength per hit IIRC) and despite their only
hitting stoneskins and mirror images every "hit" is counted against
the strength of the target. I would guess that Imoen was hit about
5 times, which would be enough to kill her by reducing her strength
to zero.

Does it make sense for special abilities to affect the target when it
is chopping away stoneskins/mirror images rather than actually
hitting the target?

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Here's what happened: while fightiung the Sahuagins I
> stoneskinned/mirror imaged Imoen and Aerie and sent them
> forward to get the attention of the fish archers. Imoen, despite
> having both stoneskins and mirror images remaining suddenly,
> and despite there not being any actual physical damage received,
> dropped dead.
>
> Here's what I think happened: The Sahuagins had activated their
> archer special ability which at their level saps strength from their
> target when hit (2 strength per hit IIRC) and despite their only
> hitting stoneskins and mirror images every "hit" is counted against
> the strength of the target. I would guess that Imoen was hit about
> 5 times, which would be enough to kill her by reducing her strength
> to zero.
>
> Does it make sense for special abilities to affect the target when it
> is chopping away stoneskins/mirror images rather than actually
> hitting the target?

RCV: Well since the players use this "feature" regularly [one of the
great selling points of the Flail of Ages is that its elemental damage goes
through Stoneskins...] I'm not sure if whether or not its making "sense" is
the issue. If its fair to use this against enemies, why not against the
party members, BY the enemies, too?

Haer'Dalis' sword does this, the Wisdon draining Wakizashi does this,
various other weapons with poison, bleeding or elemental damage do this - so
it seems "fair" in the sense that it effects everyone, friend and enemy
alike and in the same way.

Whether or not it SHOULD be this way is a question for the experts I guess -
I just accept it as being the way the game works.

[note well that on the subject of Mirror Images, they do not offer complete
protection - there is always a percentage chance that you WILL be hit when
they are up - after all if there are 8 images, say, your opponent has a 1 in
8 chance, with each strike, to hit the "real you", of course.]

"Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message

> RCV: Well since the players use this "feature" regularly [one of the
> great selling points of the Flail of Ages is that its elemental damage
goes
> through Stoneskins...] I'm not sure if whether or not its making "sense"
is
> the issue. If its fair to use this against enemies, why not against the
> party members, BY the enemies, too?

Ok. I can't really argue that, I guess. But excuse me if happen to
shed more tears for Imoen unjustly dying than I do for a mind flayer
or whatever. ;-)

> "Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
> > RCV: Well since the players use this "feature" regularly [one of the
> > great selling points of the Flail of Ages is that its elemental damage
> goes
> > through Stoneskins...] I'm not sure if whether or not its making "sense"
> is
> > the issue. If its fair to use this against enemies, why not against the
> > party members, BY the enemies, too?
>
> Ok. I can't really argue that, I guess. But excuse me if happen to
> shed more tears for Imoen unjustly dying than I do for a mind flayer
> or whatever. ;-)

One other thing about mirror images, not that you were arguing it one
way or the other - they *are* broken. If you ever have the opportunity
to have your mage/bard character get hit with the cone of cold have
mirror image image activated and then unless it actually hits the real image
your character will suffer no damage despite being engulfed in a blizzard.
This bit o' cheese helps me greatly.

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message

(Well, it's not like I'm crowding anything out on this forum...)

Ok, upon further review I no longer believe it was the sahuagin archer
SA that killed Imoen. Thank goodness I didn't actually look at the battle
log. I believe they have chromatic orb as a SA or regular spell or whatever.
Imoen must have had a very poor saving roll.

I was also incorrect in thinking that mirror image "hits" count against the
character - they don't. If a mirror image is hit then the only thing that
happens
is that one image will be removed which is a reasonable result except for
cases such as a cone of cold.

ME

kevin wrote:

> "kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
> (Well, it's not like I'm crowding anything out on this forum...)
>
> Ok, upon further review I no longer believe it was the sahuagin archer
> SA that killed Imoen. Thank goodness I didn't actually look at the battle
> log. I believe they have chromatic orb as a SA or regular spell or whatever.
> Imoen must have had a very poor saving roll.
>
> I was also incorrect in thinking that mirror image "hits" count against the
> character - they don't. If a mirror image is hit then the only thing that
> happens
> is that one image will be removed which is a reasonable result except for
> cases such as a cone of cold.

Yea, I don't quite agree with MI saving someone friend or foe, from an AoE
spell, like you said she's, images and all are engulfed in cold, or fire from
fireball. If two people are standing in a row one right behind the other, the
back one isn't safe from a cone of cold, on the premise that the front one
blocked the cold and defelcted it around them and took the hit for them. Why
should a MI cause such an effect?