Sign in with
Your question

Smoking

Tags:
Last response: in Sports & Wellness
March 5, 2012 1:40:49 PM

Alright Im going to stop smoking very soon, Ive been mentally prepping myself and I think I have the resolve to give it up.

Any advice from someone who has quit?

More about : smoking

March 26, 2012 4:52:20 AM

I don't smoke but I can tell you something. There are 3 days, if you get past those 3 days, surviving will get much easier.

Don't ever look back. Don't regret. Just let it go and don't ever go back.
March 28, 2012 6:49:50 AM

Its all in the mind brother! Keep yourself busy. Read a book, play more hours on the computer just keep your mind off it.
And good for you for quitting!!
Related resources
June 26, 2012 4:23:34 AM

find another way to relieve yourself from stress. Doing sports, hobbies are best ways to keep you distracted from smoking
July 5, 2012 11:03:48 PM

Sports is the best way to consume your free hours. Not only you can quit smoking by playing different physical games but also you will feel strong and fresh after a few months.
July 11, 2012 11:07:24 PM

I've just passed the 6 month mark for not smoking. Longest I've gone without a cigarette since I was 16 (I'm 39 now).

I found Nicotine replacement therapy is a huge help, I used patches for the first 6 weeks then gum for a while after that. I still have some gum but haven't felt the need for any for a while.

The most important thing is your mindset. You really have to change the way you feel about smoking. Don't tell yourself you've stopped smoking. You have to be a non-smoker not someone has used to smoke. It's a subtle difference but it does help.
Don't be too hard on yourself if you fail. It's fairly likely that you will start smoking again the first few times you try to quit, I know it took me about 10 attempts to get this far. If you do start again, try to figure out why and then try again.

Maybe put a few $ away every day you go without and treat yourself to something once you hit a target (month/6 months/1 year) if you fail donate it to a cancer research charity.

As others have said, exercise is a huge help. Even if it's just going for a walk it's a great stress reliever and a huge help. It will help you sleep better as well.

Set a date to quit. Make a plan for that day to keep it as busy as possible. Get rid of all smoking related paraphernalia before you go to bed the night before.

Good luck! If you succeed it will be one of the best decisions you ever make.
July 12, 2012 1:19:51 AM

its true that 3 days are going to be toughest three days, but for all that crap from cigarettes to be out of your system its going to be 10days. once you hit 10 days thats when youre going to crave cigarettes like crazy.
July 12, 2012 1:21:42 AM

go outside or on a treadmill and run and see how long you can run for. it should be a motivation of how crappy your lungs have got from smoking.
July 17, 2012 12:42:52 AM

I've officially decided to quit smoking cigarettes today. However, being at work and the stress load is making it hard. I decided to buy some potato chips as an aid. I have heard cinnamon sticks work very well as well.
July 17, 2012 1:47:48 AM

its been 3 weeks for me
July 17, 2012 7:38:14 AM

wanamingo said:
Alright Im going to stop smoking very soon, Ive been mentally prepping myself and I think I have the resolve to give it up.

you do yoga's and meditation's you wil get confidence mind
July 23, 2012 11:55:03 PM

the hardest part is not taking it up again. it is a cycle of quitting and starting, quitting and starting. The time when you are in denial and rationalizing and telling yourself "it is okay to smoke this one time" and starting up the cycle again is the most critical point(s) in the cycle. You have to be able to tell yourself that it is NOT OKAY to start lighting up again.
July 27, 2012 12:49:38 AM

proper mindset, keep yourself busy, nicotine patch/ gum but most importantly support from your family and friends
August 22, 2012 7:05:59 AM

I am back and it has been about 3 month since i quit smoking. i do want to smoke every so then but thinking about my health and the money that i saved makes me really happy
November 14, 2012 12:02:25 PM

When it gets really bad - eat a candy or drink beer or something - it will help to trick brains for a while...

wanamingo said:

November 29, 2012 5:48:09 PM

Successful quitter here, too!

While I agree that it's important to keep busy, PLEASE don't start eating when the cravings/desire to have a cigarette hit. It's really easy to put on weight doing this. Then you'll be stuck in the position of trying to cut out treats AND cigarettes...which is awful!

When I was a smoker, I would use it as a 'reward' for myself. "Okay, I'll do these emails, then I'll nip out for a smoke." If I was having a particularly long day, I would have a cigarette after every news story I wrote. Quitting was difficult because I had started using it as a motivational tool. I found the best solution if I was craving a cigarette was to just get up, make a cup of tea/coffee and have five minutes 'alone time' (even if was just me sitting at my desk not working), or just walk around for three minutes. That or do 10 jumping jacks or 25 crunches!

It is difficult at first, but it's worth it, for the savings and the lack of nasty cigarette mouth. :) 

Advice from family members that quit before me:

"Don't tell anyone you're quitting until you've not smoked for two weeks."

The reasoning is that it's too much pressure to have everyone know you've quit only to cave after 24 hours. However, some people believe having other people hold you accountable for your actions is a big motivator. You don't want to let everyone down so you'll be less inclined to slip.

I feel like a mix of the two is best. Decide to quit for YOU, don't let someone else talk you into quitting. Then, when it's been a few days, start telling people you quit smoking last Tuesday (or whenever it was). This will help you get past the first few really terrible days without the added stress of people always asking you about smoking. The first few times I tried to quit, that was definitely one of the hardest parts: People saying, "So do you miss smoking?" "Are the cravings bad?" etc. The last thing I want when I'm trying not to think about cigarettes is people reminding how much I loved them just yesterday. Also, people tend to react more positively when they find out a few days after the fact. More, "Congratulations!!!" than, "Oh, just like you quit last week, then?"

My brother just recently quit and told me he was giving himself the gift of being a non-smoker for Christmas. Not sure if you celebrate the holiday or not, but that seemed a good way to ensure he stays 'clean' until at least the 25th of December. He's got that date to look to as a goal and once it arrives, he'll have a sense of accomplishment, as though he's officially a non-smoker because he made it to Christmas day without a cigarette. I guess the logic is that he won't want to ruin his hard work after that.

Good luck! It's a hard journey, but you will feel a lot better. I won't say I don't sometimes miss that first morning cigarette or that I don't catch myself occasionally inhaling deeply as I pass a smoker on the street. It is always a constant effort, but it is so much easier now. :) 

March 6, 2013 9:10:35 AM

March 7, 2013 10:33:25 AM

It is a good decision you take.
You should try your best to quit the smoking.
You should take healthy and balanced diet, do some exercise, and engage yourself in some activities to stop the smoking.
March 8, 2013 10:58:25 AM

Like many others have said here it's all about keeping yourself busy. As soon as your mind wanders you start thinking about cigarettes then, and it's your brain that makes you think you are dying for a cigarette. If you keep your mind and body active you're already half way there.

Take up some new hobbies, start exercising regularly and reward yourself when you hit certain points. You'll be saving money anyway, so reward yourself with a nice meal and night out after a week, new clothes, say after a month, a new gadget after a couple of months, etc.

Good luck
April 18, 2013 3:13:00 AM

Well Quitting smoking is probably the single, most important thing people can do for their health. I quit cold Ankara about 16 years ago after watching my friend die from lung cancer.
April 18, 2013 8:17:08 AM

Jaysonn said:
Well Quitting smoking is probably the single, most important thing people can do for their health. I quit cold Ankara about 16 years ago after watching my friend die from lung cancer.

Death is bad. If you die, you'll never know what future tech will be like. Lung cancer also just sounds painful. If your friend died of it, I'd suggest not to smoke yourself. It may creep you out if you think about her/him.
May 7, 2013 12:48:37 AM

The average life span of human being is 90-80, but if you are smoking your life span average is 40-50.
May 15, 2013 11:37:22 PM

Nice goal dude. Just, make sure that you are true to your commitment of quitting smoking. At first, it's not easy, but just hold on and you can overcome those things.
May 16, 2013 9:45:11 AM

Always keep yourself busy doing some activity this will help your mind to get diverted from smoking. never smoke it Hurts your loved ones
November 11, 2013 11:51:17 AM

I quit smoking in January of this year. I used an e-cig for 3 weeks then kicked that to the curb as well. The main things I can tell you are these:

1) Know your triggers and learn to deal or avoid them. I smoked longer than I drove so I had to learn how to drive without smoking. You have to learn how to do many things without smoking. Take a few at a time and some you avoid. You can't take on all of them at once or you will fail.

2)A craving only lasts 3 minutes. True, it's the longest three minutes of your life lol, but 3 minutes none the less.

3)Keep working at it. If you fail, quit again. It takes most people 8 tries to quit. One thing that helped me was I felt so much better. I didn't realize how bad I felt until I quit. That helped fuel me to quitting!
December 27, 2013 12:57:01 AM

chew gum
April 27, 2014 4:27:55 AM

I don't smoke but I can tell you something. There are 7 days, if you get past those 7 days, surviving will get much easier.
May 5, 2014 7:31:57 AM

Chewing a gum is a good replacement. However how one said before. Try not to take too much snacks cause it might cause you put much on weight and then you would need to face your overweight AND the ciggarets ! :( 
!