Worst motherboard for amd fx 6300

I have an AMD FX 6300 that came bundled with a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P (Revision 5.0). I was happy with the processor until I ran Passmark CPU test and got a score in the 3,500 range, compared to Passmark average of around 6,500. I do have the correct BIOS version for the mobo (F3). The tech at the computer store said that motherboard is no good for that processor (despite the fact that they bundled it and sold it to me), and that I need at least a 780 chipset. Don't know if he was just trying to make a sale or if he was correct. I don't overclock or use it for gaming. It is used with Windows XP home to run Pro Tools recording software.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Window XP might be the key factor to why it didn't perform well. I am pretty sure Window 7 was the first OS that properly utilized these cores over XP which was mostly single threaded no? somebody please correct me if im wrong ^ _ ^

I thought XP might be an issue, so I put the processor in a different computer with the same motherboard, running windows 8. Same problem, poor performance. Also was quite slow running Super Pi compared to my AMD Phenom II 1045.

MC_K7

Distinguished
By the way Microsoft will drop support for Windows XP by April 1st 2014. So you should switch to Windows 7 or 8 before then. After this date, they won't release security updates anymore.

And about your chipset, from what I could read there's not much difference between 760 and 780, so I don't think it's the cause for your slow performance test. Maybe the test is not reliable or biased, maybe some other programs were running during the test that could have slowed the CPU, like a bad driver, etc... In other words, the problem could be software and not hardware. Did you try to run other performance tests to see if you're getting lower scores in every tests?

I also thought that XP could be a problem. Since it's a newer generation CPU, more modern OS like Win 7 or 8 are more likely to take advantage of its new features.

Yes, I am aware that support will drop next year. I really don't want to upgrade that machine from XP because my version of Pro Tools won't run on Win 7 or 8. Plus, that computer is not connected to the internet, so I don't worry about malware. When i put my Amd Phenom II 1045 into that computer, it tested fine. I was thinking about updating the chipset drivers, I downloaded the file to a thumb drive, but have never done that before, so I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on that.

Yes, I am aware that support will drop next year. I really don't want to upgrade that machine from XP because my version of Pro Tools won't run on Win 7 or 8. Plus, that computer is not connected to the internet, so I don't worry about malware. When i put my Amd Phenom II 1045 into that computer, it tested fine. I was thinking about updating the chipset drivers, I downloaded the file to a thumb drive, but have never done that before, so I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I made sure no other applications were running when I did the test. I did have AMD overdrive open on some of the tests so I could monitor cpu temperatures and frequencies. All normal. The load was being spread between all 6. Can a processor be "bad" and still work? I did not run any other performance tests, other than Super Pi, which I don't know if you would classify that as a performance test. If you could suggest a good test, I will give it a try.

darkspartenwarrior

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I've never heard of it....

Usually CPU either work or they don't.

I do have some software which allows me to monitor the voltage going to the CPU, so I will have to do some research to find out what the voltage should be. The frequency readings on each core are at or around 3,500 mhz, which is correct.

The ram is Kingston DDR3 667, not the best, but when I installed the Phenom II 1045 in the machine, the test results were fine. Of course that may not prove anything since they are 2 different processors.

I contacted Gigabyte tech support, and they replied that the FX 6300 is supported using BIOS version F3, which I have now. Cleared the CMOS and restarted the machine-no improvement. I think their CPU support list is just outdated, because when you go to the download BIOS section, it is listed.

If anyone has this motherboard/processor combination and is running either XP Home 32bit or Windows 8 32 bit, and experienced good test results, please post the particulars of your setup.

In the meantime, I will keep plugging away. I wish I would have never run the performance test!! Ignorance is bliss.

There must have been a problem with how Passmark performed its test on my FX 6300, based on something in my setup. In looking at various processor rankings here on Tom's Hardware site, the 2 processors I have and have been testing have comparable rankings, with the Phenom II 1045 coming out ahead on some tests and the FX 6300 ahead on others. This was also the case on another comparison website (CPU-something?).

Thanks for the suggestions you gave me, I guess I can be happy with my computer again!