2 GPUs not in CF or SLI

bahts

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
So I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 6770, 1GB 800 Processors.
I am looking to upgrade my motherboard and get another PCI-E 2.0 Slot so I can handle yet another GPU.
But this one would be the Radeon 6870 and would be my main card because it is faster.

So beside the fact that these two cards aren't CF-able what would the effects of having both but not in CF be? Would 1 just handle say physics?
Thanks for your time!

Build:
AMD Phenom 2 x4 B55
600 Watt PSU (575 watts +12v)
12 GB DDR3 1333

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Physx is an Nvidia thing only.

there would be no point at all to having the 2 cards (unless u feel like using 4+ monitors)

i would ditch buying the new motherboard (as it wont offer much if any performance increase) and spend the extra money on a better card.

get a 6950 or 6970 instead.

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
The only advantage in having these two different cards in the same build would be that you can run up to 6 monitors (I think the 6000 series can have 3/4 each?). In terms of processing power, there is NO GAIN I'm afraid.
Only a separate Nvidia card can offload the PhysX (and only this physics engine) calculations from the main GPU.

caqde

Distinguished
The only speed increase you could get calculating anything with two separate non crossfire/SLI cards is in OpenCL calculations and even then such programs are few and far between the only one I know off hand is Folding at Home which would allow you to run two separate GPU folds at once. Consumer wise that is the only program I know of at this time. Otherwise there are programs that were shown during conferences that would also be able to take advantage of both of those GPU's in calculating but again such programs are not out yet so unless you are using that second GPU for multi-monitor desktop support there isn't much that it can be used for at this time or even in the near future (two years term).