Is my MOBO the problem?

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello everyone, recently I just put together my first ever build.

SPECS:
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core

ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155

Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB

Thermaltake 600W ATX12V

when I first built it I had some problems, it would power on for five seconds & then turn off and repeat but after reseating memory it worked fine. Everything went good for a week or two until I decided to install a new Heatsink the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus and after installing it everything went straight to hell. I got no signal on monitor with both my video card & on board graphics. My CPU fan 1 header wasn't working and the only way the heatsink fan would spin is if I put it in another 4 pin Main_fan AND then I noticed my Video card fan was not spinning but I tested my video card in another computer and it works fine. So right now I am either thinking it is the motherboard or CPU, I tried to put the stock cooler back in and I still got the same problem. Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms? because I am totally lost. I am waiting on my new motherboard to get here and I hope that is the problem but if not I guess I will take it to a professional.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I'm not sure but it could be the way you have tha cables od the PSU connected. You have to have the 8-pin motherboard connecor connected, i'm sure you have done that. The PSU is a little bit on the low side but is just adequate.

The CPU is supported by the motherboard
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Specifications&Model=Z77 Pro4

However, it might be that you have not applied a thin film of thermal paste or that you ave applied a thick film of thermal paste meaning that no thermal paste will create high temps as will too much thermal pastes as it acts like an insulator preventing the dissipation of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.

Check the BIOS PC Health for your temps, if they surge above 85C then that is your solution (or problem).

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
It is the TR2 600 watt. I do think there was some bent pins on the motherboard CPU socket. Like 3 or 4 could of happened while installing the new heatsink but not sure how, I also didn't have the standoffs installed for the whole week or two that I actually used the computer but I installed them after I put the cooler master on and it still did not fix the problem. The Cooler master has a heat sink back plate also but I don't know why that would cause it to short out. I can't check temps on my cpu because I can't even get the computer to POST. I just don't see why it would work fine for 2 weeks and then after installing a new Heatsink it doesn't work at all & it causes the video card and CPU fan header to stop working.

Uhh... That's two strikes the board is likely toast.

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

I hope it is the mother board, I don't want to have to replace any other parts lol this is my first build so I am not mad at myself for making those mistakes. When I get my replacement I will know to have the standoffs and to install the heatsink before I put my motherboard in the case.

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I have another question, if my motherboard did fry. Then why would the CPU_FAN 1 header not work and make the heatsink fan spin but the MAIN_FAN 4 pin header make it spin? wouldn't that indicate the motherboard still works even though it wasn't making my video card fan spin, the cpu 4 pin header didnt work and no signal to monitor?

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Good! that gives me even more hope that is is the motherboard, I am praying it is not my CPU. Don't after hearing some answers I have faith it is the MOBO.

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
After getting my new motherboard and installing it correctly it still doesn't work. It won't even power on now. It acts like no power is getting to the motherboard, the PSU has been tested and is fine I took it to a pc shop and even they could not figure out the problem. Not sure what to even do now, any suggestions?

I assume the standoffs are installed. Make sure both the 20 pin ATX connector is in and the 4 pin CPU connector is in. You can try shorting the power on switch contacts with a screwdriver (carefully) to debug a case button problem.

Even with no CPU or a dead CPU the board should power up.

Otherwise the PSU is still suspect despite being tested.

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Might try a new PSU but idk honestly I think something small and unprovable is making it not even power on. I am just looking over it, I'll post results ASAP if I get any.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It's not the motherboard that is at fault.

The TR2 600 watt PSU does not come with an 8-pin motherboard connector , you have to have one otherwise there is a power shortfall using only a 4-pin connector.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Pro4&cat=Specifications

The PSU is 43 amps on the 12 v rail,(combined) better to get one that has 48 amps. Make ausre it has the proper cable connectors and that you connect them.

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

It does have a 8 pin connector or you can make it a 4 pin. I have it and the 24 pin plugged into the motherboard.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
You need to connect the 8-pin to provide adequate power for all the hardware. The 4-pin could be used but only if you use onboard gpu, your PSU is not overpowered, you have no internal fans, and the CPU cooler is standard, and your ramis not more than 2gb. You can't overclock anything, also. It's a big risk, best to get what you need toprovide proper power resources.

Your PSU has a 8-pin PCIe connector!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=899124

Unless the one in the tiger direct link is different to your model.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The ThermalTake PSU, te god one, is adequate for your rig, so I'd rule that out as the cause of the problem.

You stated earlier that the CPU fan did not work on the CPU_Fan_1 connector, is your fan a proper pin connection, you can't jam a 3 pin connector onto a 4-pin connection. What is the voltage amp of the fan of the cpu? You might need a slightly higher amp for example, the fan might be 12v 0.6amp, you'd need 12v 0.85 amp.

corpsecollins

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

It is a 4 pin and I have it plugged in correctly it worked fine until I put on the cooler master 212 and now the CPU fan only work on another 4 pin fan called MAIN_Fan. I'm not sure about voltages though. I don't know anything when it comes to those.

reggie2014

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
whats happening is theres ether no thermal paist on the cpu or to much on there your system is over heating. this is a quick fix just remover the heat sink wipe off old paist (if there is any) and apply again Remember thermal paist is only to fill in inperfections on the cpu face its not even a good thing that its there only apply a tiny amount spead it across with your finger and replace heatsink.