Help! only half of my computer receives power/melted mainboard pins

darthjames91

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hello, this is my first post.
I've been having issues with my rig lately.
Occasionally when I try to power on my rig only the cpu/gpu fans and the usual motherboard lights turn on but no case fans or any display output.
I've also found that 2 pins on the 24pin mainboard connector were melted and there was some scarring on the motherboard side where those pins belong.
Regardless of the melted pins, my computer will run properly sometimes unless the issue above arises at which point I would remove the mainboard connector and reconnect it. That usually temporarily fixes the issue for maybe a day of use.
Today however, after trying the usual quick fix I tried to test turning on my pc to see if everything turns on properly and when I pressed the power button on my case there was an obvious power surge and something inside my psu fried hence the smell of burning electronics that came soon afterwards. This surge killed the power to my room and I needed to reset the fuse box.
This is the second time I fried my psu like this in a month. I am going to RMA my 2nd psu tomorrow.
My real concern is I have no idea what could be causing this issue or anything else mentioned. I'm worried that this will happen again once I get the psu replaced.
Please help! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My components are as follows:
-Coolermaster HAF-X case
-ASUS Formula IV socket AM3, AMD 890FX/SB850 (chipset?)
-AMD Phenom II 1100T X6 3.3ghz stock (OC'd to 3.8ghz) with Coolermasters V8 CPU fan
-2x Geforce GTX 580 in SLI OC'd to 920/1840/2100 stable (using hacked bios to force SLI on a XFire mobo)
-8gb Patriot Division 2 Viper Xtreme ddr3 Ram 1866mhz (says designed for intel on the box so only runs at 1600mhz)
-Sparkle Gold Class 1250 Watt PSU
-Windows 7 64-bit

This was my first serious build and I was considerably less knowledgeable about builds than I am now.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Solution
You need to replace BOTH the PSU and Motherboard and Hope your other stuff isn't fried.

Go with a 990 chipset and you won't have to hack the bios to run SLI.

Get a 1000+ watt Corsair, PC power and Cooling, Or Seasonic Brand unit. Try to get one with a Hard OCP.com gold award or a Jonnyguru award.

Hope you have better luck with your new parts.

Cheers, Alder

sk1939

Distinguished
The fact that you are using a low quality PSU is your first problem. Hopefully it didn't take anything out when it died. The fact that it had burnt/melted pins was a warning sign, you shouldn't have continued to use it. Do NOT REPLACE IT WITH ANOTHER SPARKLE!

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
You need to replace BOTH the PSU and Motherboard and Hope your other stuff isn't fried.

Go with a 990 chipset and you won't have to hack the bios to run SLI.

Get a 1000+ watt Corsair, PC power and Cooling, Or Seasonic Brand unit. Try to get one with a Hard OCP.com gold award or a Jonnyguru award.

Hope you have better luck with your new parts.

Cheers, Alder

Solution

darthjames91

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

That is sad news, I just sent out the PSU to RMA earlier today so I'll get another one back. For the money that I originally spent on that PSU, I'd expect it to be top of the line.

darthjames91

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Would you recommend that I get a new PSU on the order of 1200+ or would anything over 1000 be sufficient? I plan on buying a Corsair since I've heard many good things of them.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012