Memory timings different than advertised?

jopeters

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
A month or so ago I purchased a new set of G Skill Ripjaws X memory (4GB x 2).
These sticks were advertised with a timing of CL 9-9-9-24...but when I run memtest and CPU-Z, it says they are 11-11-11-28.

What gives?

I have an older set that is the same thing but the 2GB x 2 version, and they actually read the correct timing. I have forgotten everything I've learned over the years about memory...but I think I would prefer the 9-9-9-24, is there a way to set this?

When I look in my BIOS, there's no option to set the specific timing for RAM. Thanks!

jopeters

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Its custom built. The motherboard is an Asus m4a785-v evo.

The BIOs has a menu for Chipset Config -> NorthBridge Config -> Memory Config. And then in the memory config, the options are:
Bank Interleaving
Channel Interleaving
Enable Clock to All DIMMs
MemClk Tristate C3/ATLVID
Memory Hole Remapping
DCT Unganged Mode
Power Down Enable

And none of those options have anything timing related in them. Within the Northbridge Config there is also an ECC Config, but nothing in there seems related either.

jopeters

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Even with the motherboard aside, I dont understand why the RAM is reading 11-11-11-28 for the timing... because that's not being controlled by the mobo, or else my other set wouldnt be reading 9-9-9-24 like they are supposed to.

Bah idk...just trying to see if that timing might be causing my BSoDs.

Which tab are you looking in? Under the SPD tab, the furthest right column should show the EPP profile specifications. Here it should show XMP-1600 9-9-9-25(24). If you are looking in the memory tab od CPU-Z, and it shows 11-11-11-30, it is because you do not configure memory settings yet.

Look for a memory timings page in BIOS, it is definitely there. On that page, you can change tCL - tRCD - tRP - tRAS to 9-9-9-24. Also, not every AMD CPU can support DDR3-1600 natively, so further tweaks may be necessary. Keep me posted on the result and I can further assist you if necessary.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT