Sign in with
Your question

Installing new mobo and cpu, concern about files

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2012 4:03:37 AM

Just a quick question, im upgrading my pc with a new mobo (asus sabertooth z77) and new cpu (i5 2500k) IB reviews let me down so i pulled the trigger on the i5, anyways i have a crucial ssd with windows 7 64bit just wondering if my files will get erased? do i need to do a clean install if not? in 2010 i did the same thing but with an HHD and everything stayed the same but just wanna make sure with ssd
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2012 4:11:36 AM

Hard to say, try it and see. Windows may not be very happy and will probably BSOD on login, but try it and see.
m
l
a c 197 à CPUs
April 24, 2012 4:32:07 AM

the old pc tech trick is before you shut down the old pc for good boot into windows safe mode are remove all the old driver in windows. if done right when windows reboots on the new pc it ask for or load the drivers needed for the new mb.
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2012 5:06:04 AM

smorizio said:
the old pc tech trick is before you shut down the old pc for good boot into windows safe mode are remove all the old driver in windows. if done right when windows reboots on the new pc it ask for or load the drivers needed for the new mb.

What drivers are you referring to?
m
l
a c 197 à CPUs
April 24, 2012 6:52:13 PM

all of them under windows system..the mb drivers/sound and video drivers..but mostly the mb chipset drivers.
m
l
!