Random BSOD and windbg results

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
ive been having frequent crashes, freezes, and BSODs, crash reports so far have listed ntkrnlmp.exe and amdppm.sys.. driver verifier so far hasnt turned up any results, but im going to try the AMD chipset driver update (using chipset 785G) to see if this works, any other ideas what could be causing this? it doesnt seem to happen on linux

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
ive used both memory tests, memories clean.. i believe i got rid of the actual BSODs caused by the ntkrnlmp.exe.. i reinstalled newer versions of the chipset drivers but i still get freezes from the amdppm.sys... apparently this is the microsoft generic driver for AMD processors... im going to see if i can find an actual AMD driver to replace this and see if it fixes the problem

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
well it would seem the major crashes were the ntkrnlmp.exe related, updating the chipset drives and converting from native IDE to AHCI with my SATA drives seem to have fixed those... AMDPPM.sys is the only issue remaining it seems, and on a clean reboot it doesnt seem to crash.. it freezes 10-15 minutes later

i updated the BIOS as well... i remember the old days when it was a pain and a floppy disc and some command line stuff to do that... i love being able to put the rom on a USB drive and just pressing "end" when it reboots to load the built in flash utility :-D

anyway, what would i do to try to determine whats crashing the amdppm.sys?

^^ Unless you have a kernal debugger, not much I'm afraid. Thats why knowing what the BSOD Stop code is so important, as it would give a clue to WHY the crash occured.

And again, its often some other program/error that causes the problem that causes the crash, so just about anything could be the root cause.

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
i have some windbg crash dump files... the ntkrnlmp.exe has not crashed since i updated the chipset drivers and switched to ahci.. its now only the amdppm.sys problems..

when i used windows 7 initially, i used the first oem/retail version that was released.. no problems.. ive used linux on this computer, no problems.. with windows 7 SP1 ive been having the problems.. deleted that OS once and went to linux again with no problems, then back to 7 SP1 and the problems started again....

so my guess would have to be the actual driver from the disc, perhaps its corrupted and i should delete amdppm.sys from my computer and get a fresh one off the disc or another disc which might be better.. i just cant imagine it being related to installed applications when it will even freeze up on me before i reach the loading screen, and nothing besides the core OS loads itself on startup

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
apparently "processor.sys" is another windows driver that is suitable and compatible with my processor.. so, for the time being i have set all cores of my processor to use this driver so im not using amdppm.sys anymore... if it doesnt crash anymore than its obviously the driver i had before which ive aquired a replacement for off my old windows 7 disc

jnager

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

This is because you have problems in Windows Registry. It is a common cause of Windows crashes and error messages. Registry problems can occur for many reasons, including references left behind after uninstalling, incorrect removal of software, missing or corrupt hardware drivers or orphaned start-up programs. This will significantly increase the Registry size and slow down your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search, and read data from the Registry. Scan your system for errors with Digeus Registry Cleaner http://www.digeus.com/products/regcleaner/registry-cleaner.html

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
removing software?.. no, when i said reinstallation i meant a complete reformat and fresh install of windows 7 and its persisted... the fact that it doesnt seem to happen on linux makes me think its a windows driver problem and not for example, a dying CPU

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
well.. i updated all my drivers.. still crashes and BSODs... i just reformatted the entire HDD and reinstalled with another disc. still getting the errors... driver verifier causes no crashes, and the culprit seems to be different.. this last time was NTOSKRNL.exe...

so.. i dont know what the problem is.. im completely stumped and lost for ideas... im starting to really think its hardware related, but ive ran multiple checks on my hard drive and memory with no results

one thing i noticed is it only does this when i turn the computer on in the morning and does it a few times for the first half hour.. after that it doesnt seem to do it anymore... so its like this only happens when the computer is "cold"... could this be a clue?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
its possible ive found the problem.. i was thinking... i installed windows a couple times, updated the BIOS, the chipset drivers, graphics drivers, switched to AHCI... but then i realized one thing remained constant... my networking drivers, i do not use wired networking, so i disabled that driver entirely... and installed a new wlan driver and i havent had a BSOD yet