Can i upgrade my socket 478 pentium 4 processor to a dual core

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I have a dell optiplex 260 with a single core intel pentium 4 cpu socket 478 at 2 Ghz speed and would like to know if i can upgrade to a dual core cpu with at least a 3 to 4 Ghz and if i can upgrade mem from 1gig to 2 or ore

Solution
No you cannot upgrade it since it is a socket 478 board (Intel 845), the highest you can go is a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4 (I have one somewhere I think). You can upgrade the memory if you can find the stick for it (DDR1 266Mhz).

sk1939

Distinguished
No you cannot upgrade it since it is a socket 478 board (Intel 845), the highest you can go is a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4 (I have one somewhere I think). You can upgrade the memory if you can find the stick for it (DDR1 266Mhz).

Solution

maxokll

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

I've been where you are! I have a, Dell 4600 with a P4 2.6 GHz. (No longer in use) I was trying to make this thing last as long as possible considering the AGP-ATI HD4650 GPU I'd recently stuck in it! I looked high and low and found that there is dual core 478 socket processors! UNFORTUNATELY, they're "mobile" chips for laptops and such. They will not work!! I finally had to break down and go with a new rig. Sorry, but you may find yourself doing the same thing. On the brighter side, everything became "affordable" with the newer machine! RAM, right off that bat!

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, I have been in the hospital for test. I was wondering if you would consider selling the cpu and how much you would want for it. I would not be able to pay for it until the first of June as I do live on a small fixed Income( In A wheelchair), Iam not teeling you this so you will feel sorry for me, Just wanted you to know.Basically this computer is my life. I play game with it most of the time and have just recently started socializing. I DO NOT expect or want CHARITY. I Just recently upgraded my bios and was noticing in it that I can open my aperture from 64Mb to 256Mb but not sure what that means and Idon't worry bout heat as I have added 2 more fans to the case. I upgrade as my money allows. I have A radeon 3650 hd x8 graphic card (agp) and a pcie 256mb radeon card but neither will fit the 3650 is in a box with cd the 256mb is oem. So now I got to find a card that will find cuz onboard graphics really stinks

sk1939

Distinguished
I have no idea if I still have one of those any longer, I still wake a look and see. You would be better served simply getting a better graphics card however, since most anything would be an upgrade over the 845 integrated graphics.