Sign in with
Your question

Graphics or monitor issue?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2011 2:52:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my display (I think), and want to make sure I don't make the same mistake when I buy a new monitor.

I have a Dell ST2210 and am running games on 1080 with a GTX 560Ti. I have always noticed the problem with others games, but it really showed when I was playing Skyrim. I'm not getting any problems with graphic lag--my card runs smooth and cool.

The problem seems to be a gamma/contrast correction issue. When i'm looking at a brightly lit area and switch the camera quickly to a dark place it takes the monitor a solid second to adjust the darkness to a slightly brighter setting (black becomes a shade a gray). The whole grayscale on this monitor has always seemed off for me--things being hazy when they should be clear. Can some recommend a good monitor or a possible fix?

Thanks

More about : graphics monitor issue

a c 109 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 2:58:42 AM

Are drivers all installed correctly?
m
l
November 14, 2011 3:33:16 AM

Yes--my graphics card drivers are up to date (though I mentioned the problem has been noticable with many versions). Windows 7 auto-installed the drivers for my monitor, and it says they are up to date. I will check the website after this post for updates.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 5:20:02 AM

Drivers for your gpu, not your monitor........
m
l
November 15, 2011 7:24:38 PM

amuffin said:
Drivers for your gpu, not your monitor........

Would you be able to tell me how to fix this in the Nvidia control panel? I have almost all of the settings set to "application controlled", and made sure I added the game I'm talking about to the program list. Let me know if you have any ideas.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 2:42:27 AM

Go to nvidia's website and download the latest drivers.
m
l
November 16, 2011 2:03:30 PM

amuffin said:
Go to nvidia's website and download the latest drivers.

Look, i'm not new to this. I update my drivers, especially my graphics driver, on a regular basis. I wouldn't post this issue without already having done so..

Here is a screenshot of my problem. The first one is EXACTLY when I look from an area with good lighting to an area that is dark. The second one is the transition that i'm referring to--it takes about a second for the brightness to adjust, and it happens gradually.

FIRST

SECOND

m
l
!