Lost video on reboot

-soothsayer-

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hi
I have an asus a8v-xe motherboard with 4g memory and AMD dual core. While using it the pc just rebooted with no signal to the monitor on reboot. So I thought it might be a power supply and bought an antec 520w power supply. No go, same. So I bought a new video card (old one- EVGA 8600GT/ new one Sapphire HD5450). Still no joy, so I'm thinking motherboard? What do you think?

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
What OS are you running? What type of RAM? Does it actually come up "no signal" or is just a black screen? Cause if it's just a black/blank screen, this problem can be caused by a bad hard drive or memory. If it is a blank/black screen, try booting up with a copy of memtest86 to test your memory. If it finds no errors, try something like Seatools or UBCD4Win (An older program, but a good boot utility disk that contains tools for checking your hard drive). There are loads of diagnostic tools and free boot disks you can obtain online to help you diagnose some hardware. You could also try another monitor just to rule it you, after you've tested some hardware or if it does come up "no signal" and you can't do any of that from the start..

-soothsayer-

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Thanks for the reply.It comes up as "no signal". I tried HDMI, vga and DVI all with "no signal". I did try another monitor with same results. The memory is Kingston KVR400AK2/2GR. My OS is Win 7 64.

-soothsayer-

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

There is no onboard video and can't get into bios. Monitor displays "no signal".
I took out all the memory except for slot 1, still no joy. The motherboard is slot 939, old school. It looks like new motherboard, memory and cpu. Sounds pricey for 2nd pc in the house.