Build it or have best buy build it for me?

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
My specifications -- getting a mouse (comes with as a bundle), a keyboard, and a monitor 1080p I took out the cooler master 212 evo $50.
MOBO:ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52400
RAM:Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BA1339
GPU:Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
PSU:SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
HDD:Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CASE:RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WW Black / White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
DVD-RW:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Best Buy probably isn't going to update your BIOS anyway, which is what can possibly turn the motherboard into a paperweight.

I would just do it myself, but I am not really intimidated by these things after this long.

That being said, it might not be the worst thing in the world. That way if anything doesn't work you can say the Geek Squad guy screwed it up and that Best Buy should have to replace it.

The RAM kinda scares me, but otherwise everything should mostly just slide right in and work right away.

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I can't do it myself because My parents most likely wouldn't want me to. I'm not so much as afraid on updating the bios because I don't think I'm going to go black out...Also why does the RAM scare you? just wondering.

P.S. I'll probably get geek-squad / bestbuy to build it and ask them if they can do my bios as well.

Tier 1 RAM, Crucial and Kingston, have rock bottom failure rates (tops out at about 2% for a model)

Tier 2 RAM, Arguably including G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ, and so on have decent to pretty bad failure rates (tops out at about 7% for a model).

Tier 3 RAM, Very high failure rates. No telling where these top out. Sales figures aren't strong enough to get reliable data usually.

My guess is that Team Elite falls into Tier 3. That is why it scares me.

Anyway, the BIOS is really hard to screw up, but if you do screw it up it is probably unsalvageable unless you have a dual BIOS motherboard.

Having an UPS in the wall and a surge protector in the UPS and your PC stuff in the surge protector is a pretty good way to avoid a catastrophic power loss which is 1/3 of the potential failure points, at least.

In this setup, a surge would still probably make it through the UPS into the surge protector and cause the surge protector to shut down to protect what is on the other side. If that was a computer updating the BIOS it would kill the motherboard while trying to save it.

That eventuality isn't stopped by the UPS + Surge Protector plan.

That still leaves the human element as a point of failure, too.

It isn't hard to put one file on a USB drive and then start your computer with the USB drive in, go into the BIOS, and do the update, but if you had the wrong file or something that could be game right there.

If you did it successfully, you would be shocked about how easy the process is.

If you unluckily had some catastrophe happen during it, though, you would be terribly sad too.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice.

Or you could just sit there with a non-updated BIOS which would likely work too.

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
if I where to update it myself would you take me step through step process?:D

and also I'm upgrading the ram I've not edited on my op sorry for the confusion I got a suggestion on G.skill and Corsair; I'll be able to use those right? and also thank you for helping me. And the part about taking the risk with bios Um. well Honestly I'm going to do a summer job it'll take me like 6-8 months to full pay off my system. (sad) lol so if I do manage somehow to unsuccessfully update my BIOS there goes about 1-2 months of work...So if you can see my concern then you would know I really don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Again thank you for helping me this far! :)

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm glad someone finally talked about it being okay. :D also I got 2 people saying that Best-Buy will update my bios! hehe they'll build my rig and update my bios lol. Thanks again for the help and everything! :) @ raddinn can you give me a link to newegg with a new RAM I was looking at some but got a little confused which one I should choose thanks.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Given that one of the hardest tasks is to pick components that will work together, especially the memory and motherboard; I would like to suggest that anyone who CORRECTLY picks out the components to use should then assemble the computer. If you feel that you are competent enough to pick out the components then you should build the computer yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/6uufsf8

The above is a link to a Crucial tool that tells you which RAM is guaranteed to work with that motherboard type (already selected).

You can set the high and low slider bar to 8GB RAM (recommended) and then change the list to display price from lowest to highest and start grabbing part numbers and searching websites like newegg for them.

The one in my signature would work perfectly well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148347&Tpk=CT2KIT51264BA1339

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Well to be honest I had help picking it out and I really I'm a lost sheep with picking. :( so this is why I'd like a manufacture to build it for me as well as update the bios but that's before us I'd like to know if this Corsair would work -- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600. Thank you for helping me.

P.S. I have a budget that I don't want to break ($900 give or keep $50) and I found a new case that'll cost $120 so saving cash is a want. :)
also the reason why I don't want to build it is because it'll take me 6 months to afford 2/3 of the system.
I also read that if It went over 1600 MHz with over clocking it could fry a RAM stick? I don't want over clocking. I really need someone to answer all these questions cause I need to add up all my stuff cause i'm scattered, thank you so much for your guys assitance!
also the guy said it fried because he was on sandy bridge I'm using i5-2400 so I believe i should be fine again if someone could answer all or almost all of these answers that would be amaziing!! thank you all!!

Corsair RAM has failure rates that are the highest out of any major manufacturer. Even if the RAM was compatible with the board, I still wouldn't get it on that basis.

If you want to know if it would work, look up "ASRock Extreme 3 gen 3 QVL" and find it somewhere, probably on ASRock's own website that says all the ram that is tested to work on the board from any maker. You can see if the specific part number of your Corsair Vengance RAM is on the list.

Even if it is on the list, it is still 5x more likely to fail than the one I showed above.

Also, while there may be some good reasons to go north of the $50 or so you would spend on the HAF 912, I don't think I would go for a $120 case for this computer unless it is just a vanity thing. There are plenty of cases ~80 that would work just fine and it would chop off 1/3 of the expense. You do keep mentioning cost after all.

My case is a very good one, for instance (Lian Li PC-K59).

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'm gonna go with the one you choose because I saw to many complaints about it being broken in less then 6 months :\ now on the issue with the case I can't find a atx case that I like I mean I found a really nice $120 case but that's about it I can't find a nice case for $80 except for the recommended $50 case but as you know it's not appealing to me -- can you find a case and suggest it to me? Thank you so much for helping me! :)

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

bucknutty

Distinguished
If I were you I would print some of the guides you find here on toms about how to build a PC. Then read through them go on you tube and find videos on how to install a CPU and cooler, how to install a Mobo, how to install a gpu. Put this stuff together in a neat package present it to your parents as a learning opportunity. Life is a lot more fun if you take every opportunity too learn new skills. People these days spend too much time learning in school and not enough time learning on their own. It may be challenging and frustrating for your but I think you will enjoy the process of building the computer and in the end when it works well and costs less than the store option you will have a legitimate sense of pride for a job well done.

The fact that your posting here shows you have the right attitude, and drive to do it yourself, and from reading your comments it looks like you have a better understanding of what needs to be done than 90% of the people in the world.

Now go forth and build.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
As much as I agree with bucknutty, a $900 computer is not the place to start.

A good start to learning how to build a computer is to (IMO):

Read guides

Watch youtube videos

Disassemble an old computer and try to rebuild it

Get old, but working used parts and build a junk build.

To me, it is not worth the risk. ^ This is how I started. Believe me, you would feel a lot better if you broke a CPU you paid $20 for compared to a $200 CPU.

So like I said, speak with the Best Buy people and see if you can sit in on the build process. If they let you, they will most likely be happy to share their "knowledge" with you.

EDIT: As I stated before, this is MY opinion. It is good that you want to understand the workings of your computer + save money though. By understanding your comp, you will save money when it comes to upgrading or troubleshooting issues. I agree that you should build your own computers (I personally would never pay Best Buy to build it for me) but I just think you should start small first. If possible pick up a cheap old (working) comp off craigslist, rip it apart, rebuild it, become familiarized with the inner workings, then build your nice comp once the parts come in. :)

bucknutty

Distinguished
Sardonic is probably right.

When I was 16 I fried a 486 DS that my neighbor gave me. That chip was 25mhz, I tried to put in a 486SX that is 66mhz and it would not work. That was when you had to set the voltages, clocks, and multi with jumpers. So then I put the 486DS back in but forgot to move the voltage jumper. The board and CPU burned out in like a day, and I way sad becuase I could not play quake.

Things are a lot more plug and play these days.

People come in here all the time that are trying to build their first computer and they are a little intimidated by the whole thing and they do pretty fine for the most part.

Sure they for get things that pros never would like neglecting to use standoffs or not plugging in the CPU power cable, but I can't remember pretty much any of them that did something that broke the PC forever. They just take the board back out and put the standoffs in or just plug in the CPU power and they are good, usually.

Everyone gets DOA parts and that can't completely be avoided, but sticking with high quality parts is a good way to limit the risk.

On the one hand it just makes things so much easier if you don't have to worry about it, but most people are fine especially if they watch a few videos beforehand.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

Just from a personal stand-point, and knowing what my budget is like, even if i caused one component to break (due to inexperience/mistake/forgetfulness/whatever) I would be pretty bummed. I would be computer less until my funds went back up too (if for some reason the broken part couldn't be RMA'd)

But I do agree, it is a fairly straight forward process. Most things are plug it in and go now. But I even worry when I build a new comp (and I have been ripping PCs apart for a while). So for a brand new person, I'd play it safe.

To reiterate my stance: I think OP should go ahead and build it himself, BUT only after he takes the time to physically work on a PC (even if it is 1 PC and a few hours before he puts together his new one). If he cannot get access to a cheap pc that he can rip apart, then I think it'd be better for him to have Best Buy do it and watch.

Fine, I will concede the point. It would really suck to do something that blew up your PC when you don't have money to buy a new part with.

I kinda live in fear of that too since I have one of the lowest budgets of anyone on TH.

That being said, OP if you are in/around DC then I will oversee the process in person for free.

Otherwise, it might be really nice if you could buy a POS PC off of craigslist for like $50 or something that you can freely destroy in order to get your hands wet before you take on the expensive one.

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
haha. Yeah the thing is I really don't want to toy around and build a $900 desktop I'd rather do a $200 desktop knowing if I broke something I could afford it in like a month. Sadly I'll not be building it myself:( . Thank you guys for your help all the way to down here means a lot since I'm making my first PC and I don't want anything wrong with it.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

I think you made the correct choice for this particular situation. But like Raiddinn said, if you can (even after you have you new comp) get a cheap $50 or so PC off craigslist, then you should do it. The knowledge you will gain from be able to get your hands dirty by ripping apart and reassembling a PC is invaluable and will certainly help you in the future with upgrades/troubleshooting.

Don't give up on building your own PC's though!!! Just get a bit more knowledge under your belt first. ;)

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
MOBO:ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52400
RAM:Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT51264BA1339
GPU:Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
PSU:SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
HDD:Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CASE:RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WW Black / White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
DVD-RW:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 -- is the cooler necessary because I changed my CPU and i'm not over clocking if so please tell me because it's about $50 i can save a lot to me maybe not you but still... Thanks. This cost me $909.31 :) Couldn't ask for a better design myself if I can get rid of the cooler it turns out that'd be awesome because then i'd have enough cash left over from not buying the cooler to buy a "21-22 inch monitor =)

P.S. I double posted this because I wanted to make sure someone would see it :)! I hope you guys like the specs. I love the case I wanted a LED case but after a few heart wrenching comments talking about the LED lights running out after 6 months I'm not going to get a case with one as you can see above that's the case I bought $49.99 cheap good looking I love it lol.

bucknutty

Distinguished
The stock coolers are perfectly fine for the i3s and i5s. They now have a built in copper core with a vapor chamber, so they actually work really well. Plus the i5 is an amazingly cool chip when you consider the work it does, compared to older quads. That case has good air flow so that will further help the stock cooler.

Just dont try to over clock more than 10 - 20% on the stock cooler.

bucknutty

Distinguished