Different versions of Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. What is the difference

leslieliang

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I bought my first set of CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 about 2 years ago. They were version 2.12. Checking the DDR3 IC Inquiry, version 2.12 are Elpida IC. I received my second set today and they are version 3.24 (Micron). I've read that because they are different IC, there could be possible compatibility issues. I was wondering which company makes better IC for overclocking, Micron or Elpida? Or if the other IC are better than these two (Hynix? Nanya? etc).

Thanks.

When you mix the RAM time to time you will or will not have the problem. But if two of them have same speed/timings then they have less problem or no problem at all. No one know until you put them together.

I don't use the Elpida, but I know micron is very good RAM manufacturer.

leslieliang

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

I also have reason to believe that Micron is a reliable manufacturer of IC as they make AMAZING SSDs (Crucial M4). The exact same goes for Samsung (830 & 840 Pro), so I also have reason to believe Samsung IC would be good.

On the other hand, I have never even heard of Elpida. Although I have heard of both Nanya and Hynix, I have no idea of either's performance and reliability records. But I have seen a review of the 1866C9 ver8.16 and they were VERY bad.