Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Kernel Driver failure on PNY GTX 560

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2011 8:57:13 AM

Hey there

I was refered to this forum by a friend. I am currently experiencing a weird bug since I built this system.
I've been doing a bunch of research but I couldn't find anything that would fix it.
So here we go ; Whenever I'm staring at my desktop, being afk without anything running beside firefox, I'm getting a 10-15 seconds Kernel Driver Failure. Eventually, it always come back from the black screen, but it's quite annoying to experience an hardware failure. It never happened when I was in a game.

My system is :

Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
i5 2500k
2x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz
PNY Geforce GTX 560
Antec Earthwatts 750w 80+
500 GB Caviar Green
Antec Three Hundred case

I was told it could be a memory issue. My ram is in Dual channel.
I was also told it could be a power issue. My 24 pin connector is plugged into my mobo, a 4pin one too. I got 2x6 pin connectors to my graphic card.
My graphic card never heats over 65 degrees although I think that's already high.
And I'm running on Windows 7 64 bits.

I think it's about that. If there's anything I could add that would help, please tell me.
November 14, 2011 3:25:06 PM

Bump.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:36:44 PM

Kernel driver failure isn't good to see. If your GPU running at 65 on load or idle? Have you tried a full uninstall and reinstall of the latest drivers?
Score
Related resources
November 14, 2011 3:37:56 PM

65 on full load, also I tried two times to delete the whole nvidia drivers, reboot and then reinstall them.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:40:10 PM

65 on full load is perfectly fine, probably even cooler than most. This only happens when your system is idle for a bit? Never while gaming?
Score
November 14, 2011 3:43:13 PM

Exactly. Whenever I close a game, and I let my desktop idle on firefox or my desktop itself, it happens suddenly. Sometimes, twice in a row, but as soon as I start gaming, it won't ever do it again.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:47:00 PM

So it isn't a BSOD you're getting? What you are getting sounds like what happens to me when I'm overclocking my card. You may need to contact PNY, most likely they will have you update the firmware/bios for your card to see if that fixes it.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:49:03 PM

I'm not getting any BSOD, the screen only becomes black, and then my monitor says it doesn't detect any HDMI input, then it goes into sleep mode. A few seconds later everything is back to normal, and I get the notice that the kernel driver failed but windows was able to fix it.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:53:41 PM

Yeah it is most likely an issue with your GPU not throttling down when idling correctly or something like that. It could also be a hard drive issue.

EDIT: Try disabling sleep/hibernate mode in windows.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:54:28 PM

An hard drive issue? How comes?
And what is a Firmware? As in the GPU bios?
Score
November 14, 2011 3:57:37 PM

Well since you said you have already uninstalled and re-installed drivers, the next course of action would be to contact/call PNY or fiddle around with some overclocking software(MSI Afterburner). This issue you are having sounds to be a GPU only issue.

For what its worth, when i'm overclocking, and I don't have enough voltage going to my card during testing my card, my screen will go black for like 5-8 secs in which it will come back and at the bottom right will say that the driver has failed and succesfully restarted(or something like that).
Score
November 14, 2011 3:59:18 PM

ErmenegillE said:
An hard drive issue? How comes?
And what is a Firmware? As in the GPU bios?

Yeah, I edited original post. So tired right now. :( 

I have a feeling it has to do with the voltages when the card goes into the inactive state, or possibly the 2D state.
Score
November 14, 2011 3:59:24 PM

So you're telling me that they would've overclocked my graphic card too much for what it can handle? I'm not used at all to the overclocking.

I'll try to find the sleep/hibernate mode but the path would be appreciated
Score
November 14, 2011 4:01:14 PM

It's possible that the stock voltage on your card is too low to be stable, but you said it works fine in games and only happens when it's idle, strange.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:03:08 PM

I'm aware it's strange, hence why I'm requesting help on a forum x.x

Edit : Thanks for the link
Score

Best solution

November 14, 2011 4:04:11 PM

ErmenegillE said:
So you're telling me that they would've overclocked my graphic card too much for what it can handle? I'm not used at all to the overclocking.

I'll try to find the sleep/hibernate mode but the path would be appreciated

It wouldn't be the first time that a company has factory overclocked a card without testing it out. Mostly when this happens the company will give instructions on updating gpu bios(this generally fixes the error).

By chance did you try re-seating the Graphics card on the motherboard?
November 14, 2011 4:06:08 PM

I disabled sleep/hibernate mode.
So the only way to get the update for my gpu bios is to contact PNY? I've looked on their website and there's not any gpu bios updates available for download. Unless I'm too tired to find em.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:08:24 PM

The bios isn't something they will have available for the masses to download, it will require you contacting them.

Did you try re-seating the graphics card on the motherboard since the problem has come up?
Score
November 14, 2011 4:09:48 PM

I'm downloading it, gmcizzle. What do you mean by "Bump the voltage 2 notches up, and see if it that fixes it. "?

And, nonnac7, what do you mean by "Did you try re-seating the graphics card on the motherboard since the problem has come up?"? replugging my graphic card?
Score
November 14, 2011 4:11:06 PM

Pulling the graphics card from where it sits on the motherboard and then putting it back in.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:13:20 PM

ErmenegillE said:
I'm downloading it, gmcizzle. What do you mean by "Bump the voltage 2 notches up, and see if it that fixes it. "?

And, nonnac7, what do you mean by "Did you try re-seating the graphics card on the motherboard since the problem has come up?"? replugging my graphic card?

Under Voltage (bottom) in the Show Overclock section, you can change the voltage in small increments, so move the slider 2 places to the right (higher voltage).

And then hit Apply at the bottom right afterwards.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:13:23 PM

I didn't try that, but I will, if you believe it might help.
Also ;
Score
November 14, 2011 4:14:00 PM

By pulling I mean carefully removing.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:15:28 PM

Haha, don't worry. I built this system myself, I'm quite sure I'll pay attention to my hardware.

And gmcizzle, I'm not sure I'm going to do that. I'd prefer staying away from overclocking and stuffs. According to the screenshot do you really think it'd be useful?
Score
November 14, 2011 4:16:53 PM

Well I don't know if it will fix it, but it's worth a shot before fiddling with the GPU itself. 2 notches in voltage won't do any harm at all.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:18:48 PM

Well, having the hibernate mode disabled, I'll replug my graphic card as nonnac7 said, and -if- I'm still experiencing the issue afterwise, I'll do the voltage thingie. I'm kind of afraid that if I change something in the overclock, my warranty won't be working anymore.

Anyway, be right back I'll re plug my graphic card.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:21:28 PM

The Nvidia BIOS on the GPU limits the amount of voltage you can increase it to. Anything within Nvidia Inspector is safe as long as your temps are 80c or below, and should not void your warranty.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:22:03 PM

For some reason, sometimes the dumbest(because that's how I feel when something so difficult is fixed with something so easy) solutions tend to be what fixes it. Yes, something so easy as a re-seat has happened to me before.
Score
November 14, 2011 4:32:02 PM

Well there we go, I've reseated my graphic card, removed a bit of dust from the graphic card sink. I'll let my computer idle to firefox/desktop for the hour I got left before work. I'll give you news back anytime before tonight.

-If- my issue is fixed, thanks a lot for the help.
Score
November 15, 2011 11:24:16 AM

Best answer selected by ErmenegillE.
Score
November 15, 2011 11:24:51 AM

Everything's running flawlessly since 2 days. Thanks again.
Score
November 15, 2011 2:06:01 PM

I just experienced the same issue again... I'm kind of disappointed. I'll try the voltage solution that was mentionned above.

I think this thread is considered as solved, I'm not sure if I should open a new one in order to get new replies..
Score
November 15, 2011 3:56:25 PM

Let me know if the upping the voltage works.
Score
November 15, 2011 4:38:31 PM

I didn't experience any issues since I did it. I'll wait a couple of days to confirm anything. Thanks for replying back
Score
November 17, 2011 6:42:33 AM

It's not solved at all, it's still doing the same..
Score
November 17, 2011 6:56:21 AM

I would recommend contacting PNY about this issue then. The only things I can think of could involve your motherboard , and you would rather not mess with that without knowing for sure its not your gpu or another component.

I still think that PNY will try and give you a bios update and see if that works, passed that they will want you to RMA it because it obviously is not working as intended.
Score
November 17, 2011 8:43:52 PM

Alright, thanks I guess. Also I think I started experiencing green flashes in battlefield 3.
Score
November 17, 2011 9:20:47 PM

ErmenegillE said:
Alright, thanks I guess. Also I think I started experiencing green flashes in battlefield 3.

That happens to everyone, they still need to patch that.
Score
January 1, 2012 7:40:42 AM

Hi!

Is mine set ok? i bought it overclocked, and i dont understand any of what this shows? all i can see is mines different to the one posted earlier? i have also had the kernel faliure thingy a couple of times, i just uninstalled and did a clean install of the latest nvidia drivers, will have to wait n see if that helped?

intel core2 extreme Q6850 (3ghz)
running windows 7 premium 64bit
4 gig of ddr3 ram (cant remember what speed)
700watt psu

and it seems to happen occasionally on desktop and sometimes when online (using firefox), if that helps?
Score
!