Ivybridge vs Sandybridge in Gaming performance

dead_sincebirth

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi guys, Ivybridge processors are seemed to be just like a breath taking product and a dream Processor for a man who likes advancment ...
will these processors are really what they seem is wht i think the most frequently asked question by every one...
if look at the clock rates there is an increased in clockrates per core e.g i7 2600k had a base clock rate of 3.4ghz where as upcoming i7 3770k is clocked at 3.5ghz which definately means an increase in 100mhz/core and almost 400 as a whole.
if we look at the GPU capacity of both processors we see that i7 2600k got HD3000 builtin graphics where as i7 3770 got HD4000 builtin graphics this feature can be attractive to those buyers which have plan to use on board graphics...

how ever it is belived by majority that the IVY-BRIDGE processors will heatup quickly as compare to SANDYBRIDGE processors and to make a system more stable even a non-overclocker will definately need an additional CPU COOLER rather than a stock cooler...it's a topic of debate...

however a man who is thinking of dumping his old i7 2600k for a new IVYBRIDGE i7 3770k seems a silly idea if he/she is already using a graphiccard rather then a processors own GPU . well for new buyers which are thinking of replaceing there old core2duo or core2quad systems IVYBRIDGE can be a good choice but if they want to save there bucks then SANDYBRIDGE is not a bad option ether.

what is your point exactly?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

What is your question?

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I'm building an all new setup and I'm trying to figure out still if I'd like IB/z77 or SB(I guess I could still put it in z77).

I am only OC'ing to 4.0ghz with a hyper 212 evo. I will have to wait and see some more reviews. I do like the possible future capabilities of pcie3.0 w/IB.

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I would wait until the next set of chips after IB and that is if games actually require it planning on playing gw2 and diablo for more than 2 years...If you have SB..just stay as is ...unless money is no problem and just for the heck of it and bragging rights ...I hesitated on buying aSB 2500k 1 month ago but after researching and IB 35% in some areas like movie editing not gaming ( I think 15% on 3d mark above 2500k) is not enough for me to wait for it or even sink money into it ....best bang for the buck is 2500K no doubt about it ..and you can OC as a bonus ...HD3000 graphics or not having a good gpu is better than HD4000 ...

Black Thought

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Funny cause i am doing the exact same thing. I already bought a z77 board and just want to know what cpu generation to pair with it. Didn't see much of an advantage of going past 4.2ghz and with the evo i doubt cooling will be a real issue with IB. The only thing I can add is from what i've ready by the time cards are able to fully saturate the 2.0 bus it'll probably be time for a new processor unless you play on going 3/4 way xfire/sli and have the mobo to do it.

Black Thought

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

I agree with you that it makes no sense, to upgrade to IB if you already have SB but im not sure where this better bang for buck comes in especially before OC'ing. The quoted price for the 3570k is $212 and the 2500k is still $219 on newegg although it will likely drop a bit.

If you already have a 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor it most likely isnt in your best interest to upgrade to one of the new 3rd generation Intel Core processors. Heck the 3rd generation processors are great unless you really want to get some overclocked performance than moving back to the 2nd generation Intel Core processors would be your best bet.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Everyone is saying "it's not worth the upgrade if you have sandy bridge." But no one is really saying whether which one is "better" if you have neither.

From what I've read, unless you need to overclock to ridiculous amounts, ivybridge is better because capabilities with future technologies. I'm going 3570k.

If you are coming from an older PC, then it's best to simply upgrade to Ivy Bridge because the motherboard will have a PCI-e 3.0 slot. It's not really necessary yet since no current video card will be limited by the PCI-e 2.0 slot, but might as well "future proof" yourself. I'm sure there are other features on mobos designed for Ivy Bridge, but since I don't plan on upgrading until Haswell is released I have not bothered to research it.

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
PC Magazine on IB:

"Better power usage and battery life. As mentioned above, one of the benefits of this new production process is that it gives the CPU the ability to deliver more performance while drawing less power. In our tests, we found that a desktop loaded with the Core i7-3770K, when all four of its cores were pushed to their limits, used more than 30 watts less power than that chip's immediate predecessor, the Core i7-2700K. Expect this to translate to laptop battery life as well."

"More overclockable. Supporting version 1.3 of Intel's Extreme Memory Profile, real-time core ratio changes, and improved overrides for processing, graphics, and memory functions, Ivy Bridge offers options for tweaking your system's performance over and above what you can get from either Sandy Bridge or Sandy Bridge Extreme CPUs. In our testing, we had no trouble pushing the Core i7-3770K from 3.5GHz to 4.6GHz using a stock fan and heat sink; with time, determination, and more aggressive cooling, you should have no trouble doing even better. You will, however, need a motherboard with the Z75 Express or Z77 Express chipset."

Wonder why we haven't seen this...

Black Thought

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
As with most everything in the computer world, there is always a caveat. The better choice is more a matter of your personal intended uses for the cpu. As has been said numerous times if you have a serious interest in aggressive overclocking (4.8+ GHz), then you are probably better off going for SB unless you have a robust liquid cooling option. If your not that serious about overclocking to a high rate the advantage of PCI 3.0 and ability to fall back on a better integrated gfx solution if something happens to your discrete card is a nice luxury at the same price. At the end of the day there is no clear winner or answer that will be correct for every individual. Just define what your intended use parameters are and then make a decision.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
It's really too soon to tell. How many overclocking tests have been done? As with SB, only a certain percentage of them will be highly overclockable. So far, I've seen two tests. Not exactly a good sample size.

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Single thread:
CB%20single-580-90.jpg

Multi thread:
CB-580-90.jpg

CPU encoding:
x264-580-90.jpg

Gaming:
wic-580-90.jpg

Processor graphics: