Sign in with
Your question

Crossfired HD 6870's or a single High end card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2011 11:42:22 AM

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while.

I was just wondering whether games run better on a single high end card or with 2 cards in crossfire? For example, i currently have a single 6870, but would it be better adding another one of these, or to get a new single higher end card. The reason being, when i was building this PC, i fell in love with doing it! So now, all i do is look at components and want to upgrade all the time or just build more PC's, but sadly i can't afford to :(  I would love a job in something like this but i wouldn't know where to start! Anyway, enough rambling, back to the matter at hand.

On the specifications on my MOBO, it states this:

Support for ATI CrossFireX™ technology
* The PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x4 mode when ATI CrossFireX™ is enabled *

What does this mean? Does it mean that one card will work better as it will be at x16? Or will CrossFire still improve it. I can currently run BF3 on Ultra at around just over 30FPS, but would love more than this, and i would love to be able to run Crysis 2 with the DX11 and tesselation packs with no lag what-so-ever :) 

Here are my current specs:
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3GHz (Stock settings, not overclocked yet as i have no knowledge on how do to do it)
Arctic cooler freezer 7 Rev 2 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard
G-Skill 8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
500GB Western Digital HDD (Pulled from my old XPS 420)
LG Blu-ray drive (Pulled from my old XPS 420)
Linksys Wireless Network Card (Pulled from my old XPS 420)
Antec 650w PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Any help would be great,

Alex
November 14, 2011 11:51:24 AM

alexburton1990 said:
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while.

I was just wondering whether games run better on a single high end card or with 2 cards in crossfire? For example, i currently have a single 6870, but would it be better adding another one of these, or to get a new single higher end card. The reason being, when i was building this PC, i fell in love with doing it! So now, all i do is look at components and want to upgrade all the time or just build more PC's, but sadly i can't afford to :(  I would love a job in something like this but i wouldn't know where to start! Anyway, enough rambling, back to the matter at hand.

On the specifications on my MOBO, it states this:

Support for ATI CrossFireX™ technology
* The PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x4 mode when ATI CrossFireX™ is enabled *

What does this mean? Does it mean that one card will work better as it will be at x16? Or will CrossFire still improve it. I can currently run BF3 on Ultra at around just over 30FPS, but would love more than this, and i would love to be able to run Crysis 2 with the DX11 and tesselation packs with no lag what-so-ever :) 

Here are my current specs:
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3GHz (Stock settings, not overclocked yet as i have no knowledge on how do to do it)
Arctic cooler freezer 7 Rev 2 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard
G-Skill 8GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
500GB Western Digital HDD (Pulled from my old XPS 420)
LG Blu-ray drive (Pulled from my old XPS 420)
Linksys Wireless Network Card (Pulled from my old XPS 420)
Antec 650w PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Any help would be great,

Alex

Id recomend just 1 card if you want to avoid potential driver problems with crossfirex.
Also, 4x mode limits modern gpus severely so i would wait and get a 7950 when it comes out.
+ quit your whittling about 30fps in bf3, im running on ultra on my 5850/6870 fine so unless you have a ton onf money, wait for the 7950
November 14, 2011 12:05:28 PM

I would avoid crossfiring using two mid range graphics cards, if you have the budget go for a single high end graphics card.
Related resources
November 14, 2011 12:26:17 PM

I got almost the same build with a month ago and I'm very happy with it. Went for 6870 in crossfire and running BF3 nicely :)  I think it's very hard to beat 2x 6870 for the same money, how? I'd like to see some constructive comments, from the cards available now.

EDIT: although my I don't think my MOBO is restricting me on 4x with two 6870 in crossfire. Only the third one would run in 4x, but I think two run in 8x which is more than enough, so that's something you have to consider
November 14, 2011 12:38:30 PM

stevozilik said:
I got almost the same build with a month ago and I'm very happy with it. Went for 6870 in crossfire and running BF3 nicely :)  I think it's very hard to beat 2x 6870 for the same money, how? I'd like to see some constructive comments, from the cards available now

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/320910-33-6870-6970

The TS is probably using single monitor

6870=170$ x 2 = 340$
570=330$

A single 570 beats the 6870 cf in anyway in a single monitor.

I always suggest going with a higher end single card solution for a couple reasons:

1. Power Draw
2. Stability (Single card always more stable than multiple cards)
3. Future expansion (Ability to add in another card later for SUPER POWER when stability and price aren't as much as an issue and when you have more money for a bigger PSU, if needed)
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2011 6:06:31 PM

stevozilik said:
I agree with you with single card vs multiple cards, but can you prove the performance gain in any benchmarks?

tomshardware suggests that two 6870 in crossfire beat 570 quite considerably

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2011-gaming-graphi...

Yes but this includes the incredible anomaly called, "Micro-stutter". ;O
!