Thermal Paste - correct application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcdad

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I have seen several ways to apply thermal paste and that led me to ask... is there a generally preferred method? A Newegg video showed me to use the "baggie" method to aply paste to the top of the cpu but made no mention of paste application to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (which I also have and will be installing).

Then I go to the Cooler Master forum and it shows to put a bead of paste between each pipe.

Just where and how much I ask.... your input is appreciated.

Solution
The best way is to read the directions on the package.

They are all different materials and different application method's and they all suggest different amounts so the advice people are giving you here is probably not accurate to the one you choose.

One dot , middle of the processor , and spread thin with a business card or similar piece of cardboard

BUT the direct heatpipe coolers often have a small gap where the heat pipes havent been squeezed perfectly . That gap needs more paste so spread a tiny drop there if its needed

The heat sink can spread the paste itself and its probably better that it does.

It is probably also not that great if you can see through the paste after it is applied. Sounds like it needs more paste in that case.

Read the link from above.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
i use silicone/plastic spoons designed for this job (or for eating icecream :p). either way works, it is all a matter of how comfortable and experienced you are with each method.
I dislike "blob and press" because you can never be sure which direction it will go, and you can't be sure the cavities of the heatpipes will be filled.
"Spread up, spread down and sandwich it" is what i use, though it might trap pockets of air.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
i put a very very thin layer on each one of them. using the spoony to the point where the next shaving reveals the material under the paste. cover again and keep spreading.
Add the quantity of a rice grain, at most, to each surface. You put paste on the heatsink so that you cover the gaps between heatpipes and contact surface. On the processor you put paste and spread it so that it goes in the holes of the surface you can't see with your eyes.
By applying paste to both surfaces you make sure you have it spread evenly, that most of the critical area is covered (imagine a circle in the middle of the chip plate) and that heatpipe gaps are filled.
Even if on some parts you spread it too thin, the sandwich will merge the thin layer from above with the one in the bottom making a nice uniform layer. Like i said before, the only weakness to this method is air pockets... but i'd rather have that to chances i didn't cover critical areas.

The best way is to read the directions on the package.

They are all different materials and different application method's and they all suggest different amounts so the advice people are giving you here is probably not accurate to the one you choose.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.