Upgrade or New Computer?

Hello,
I'm a gamer and had my current computer for two and a half years now, but with the arrival of many new games which require a bit more, I found my computer being a bit of a disappointment.

Now, I don't understand a lot hardware-wise, so I was wondering if someone could tell me whether I should upgrade my computer, or buying a new one from scratch will be more cost-effective and will yield better results.

My current rig consists of:
MSI P55-GD65 (MS-7583) motherboard
nVidia GTX 275
i5 750 processor at 2.67GHz
2x2GB RAM
Windows 7 (32-bit)

I'm not all too sure about the rest, but I think my HDD, which is just below half a TB, is at a 5900 RPM.

Let me know what you think, and thank you in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade computer
  1. thats not a terrible setup.

i would definitely get rid of the old hard drive. at the very least a 7200 or faster disk drive...or perhaps a new ssd. getting an ssd at least for boot would make your system feel more snappy. you could also take this to a new build if you wanted to.

while not bad at all if you wanted to upgrade the video card you could and use it on a new build in the future.

normally i wouldnt touch ram or cpu as the sockets might not match a newer board. well.. unless its the same socket as the i7 in which it probably does match the new boards.

--

in general a hard call. your machine isnt a the level where you need to replace everything but it is just a step below what i would recommend for gaming today.

up to you and your budget. a new pc will cost more but yeild a bit better performance, an upgrade would cost much less but but will not yeild as much improvement.
  2. Just upgarde. A 7200 RPM drive will give your computer much better response times and give an overall faster feel to it.

I would change out the graphics card for something more powerful though. What's your budget for upgrading? What resolution are you at?
  3. The budget isn't set but the least I pay the better, naturally. And currently on 1920x1080.

Thanks for the help, and more opinions are more than welcome!
  4. This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Pyree
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems