Games stutter momentarily

silentsigns

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hey all, I'm having an issue with my system at the moment in which when playing a few different games every 3 seconds i have a momentary stutter. The stutters range from 'you can barely tell when you're looking for them' to 'oh my god what is going on why am i dead' leaning more towards the latter.

I'm really lost as to what it could be, I've pulled apart the pc and put it back together, updated EFI, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, disabled speedstep, started a fresh windows install and migrated the games to a new HDD.

I'm currently running with

ASUS P8P67 EVO
i7 2600
ASUS 6950 1GB
4GB 1600 ram
Corsair hx750w

seagate ST31000524AS 1TB (for OS)
WD black caviar (for games)

Games that are confirmed to be occurring on
Skyrim
BF3
League of Legends

also, not sure how relevant it is to this but when playing heroes vi when water is on screen i get HUGE frame drops (from 60 to sub 10) and I have general poor frames in BF3 regardless of settings and skyrim on anything above medium settings.

Any help on this one would be awesome :D

scienceisfun91

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

What's your graphics card?

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Good system.

1. Skyrim is having issues as it is. (Driver on its way) So for the purposes of this problem I think we can discount it.
2. Check that the cables for both your hdd's are correctly installed in the right slots with the right cables. I say this because on another post someone was having a similar problem - and this proved to be the problem/solution. It is possible that the HDD is the cause - but then you said you swapped them out and still have the same prob... so...
3. Let's do the obvious thing and check you GPU : CPUID's Hardware Monitor is quite good to use (software download) and that will provide info like gpu temps. We are looking for anything irregular: overheating, incorrect clock speed or memory anything that stands out that may indicate the beginnings of gpu failure/malfunction. GPU-Z is also a good bit of software.
4. Run benchmark software : 3d mark and check your result to your cards benchmarks on tomshardware. (Another good performance indicator outside of gaming.)
5. Did you download and install new drivers, or use the cd? Download directly from the site.
6. Swap out parts if you can. GPU, memory, hdd. Or put your gpu in a different rig. The idea is to eliminate possibilities.

Any other info you can give would be good:

1. Is this a new rig?
2. If not, anything new in the rig?
3. Have you changed the environment for your pc, i.e warmer?
4. How often in-game do the stutters occur?
5. Does your system play video alright?