Sign in with
Your question

Computer Won't Recognise AMD 3000+

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2012 1:32:47 PM

I recently purchased an AMD Sempron 3000+ processor and replaced my Athlon 2500+. My computer still says I'm running the Athlon and my computer is only running at 1.2ghz and not the 2.0 ghz it should be running using the Sempron. From what I've read about this, I need to possibly change some system settings but I don't know which ones. Help me!!!!

Here are some of my system specs:

Mother board: Gigabyte GA-7VAX (rev1.2)
CPU: Sempron 3000+
Memory: 1gb (2x512mb)
Power Supply: 430 watt
+3.3v 28A
+5v 30A
+12v 18A

If there is anything else you need to know to be able to hielp me please let me know.

------Murphy
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 24, 2012 1:52:33 PM

Looks like you need to flash your bios to the latest version. Your motherboard does not recognize what CPU you have so you will need to go to Gigabyte and get the bios file for your motherboard.
April 24, 2012 5:39:28 PM

I've looked all over and think I found the right version and downloaded it but I can't for the life of me figure out how to flash the bios. I've been trying to figure it out for a couple of hours now.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2012 6:12:11 PM

It should just be an EXE file that you run.
April 24, 2012 8:06:54 PM

I ran the EXE file and got the following messages on the screen:

The Chipset is not supported.
The Flash part is not supported.
Make sure the flash is not protected.

It also says that the Chipset, Brand, Flash and Flash size are all unknown.

If you can't tell by now, I am no genius when it comes to computers.
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2012 8:20:32 PM

It means you have the wrong bios update.
April 26, 2012 2:07:37 PM

More or less, yes as mine is Rev. 1.2 and the one in the picture is a 1.1. The only differences I see in the board is there is a group of 6 little blue switches on my motherboard next to the CPU and in the picture there is only 5 and where there are the two little blue switches down by the bios there is only 1 little blue switch on mine.

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2012 4:31:56 PM

Make sure you download BIOS for YOUR motherboard.
It is recommended that you flash BIOS from thumb drive or floppy drive.

Basically, extract the content of the file you downloaded into flash drive or floppy A.

During boot sequence when computer posts (in the very beginning where you see different letters and numbers and from where you can get into BIOS) you may be given options such as Q-flash or similar.

Press the corresponding button.

From there, you may have to browse to your thumb drive or floppy drive content to flash BIOS.
April 27, 2012 6:52:28 AM

yyk71200 said:
Make sure you download BIOS for YOUR motherboard.
It is recommended that you flash BIOS from thumb drive or floppy drive.

Basically, extract the content of the file you downloaded into flash drive or floppy A.

During boot sequence when computer posts (in the very beginning where you see different letters and numbers and from where you can get into BIOS) you may be given options such as Q-flash or similar.

Press the corresponding button.

From there, you may have to browse to your thumb drive or floppy drive content to flash BIOS.

Downloaded BIOS.
Extracted to flash drive (I don't have a floppy drive).
Found the option for Q-Flash.
When in Q-Flash the only option I could find was to flash the BIOS from floppy.
How can I change this to flash BIOS from flash drive?

Doing stuff like this on the computer is like working on a car. At least when this is all done I'll remember how to do this for life.
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2012 10:11:44 PM

downrivermurphy said:
Downloaded BIOS.
Extracted to flash drive (I don't have a floppy drive).
Found the option for Q-Flash.
When in Q-Flash the only option I could find was to flash the BIOS from floppy.
How can I change this to flash BIOS from flash drive?

Doing stuff like this on the computer is like working on a car. At least when this is all done I'll remember how to do this for life.

This is a pretty old board, so I don't know if it will allow you to flash BIOS through flash drive. I guess you don't have floppy drive, do you? Your option may be to get a floppy drive and then return it. There are floppy drives that work through USP ports. They may work also (but I am not positive).
April 28, 2012 3:43:12 AM

yyk71200 said:
This is a pretty old board, so I don't know if it will allow you to flash BIOS through flash drive. I guess you don't have floppy drive, do you? Your option may be to get a floppy drive and then return it. There are floppy drives that work through USP ports. They may work also (but I am not positive).

I successfully flashed the BIOS with a borrowed 3 1/2 floppy drive. It still says that I'm running the Athlon and not the Sempron that is installed. Also it still says it's running at approx. 1.2Ghz and not 2Ghz like it should be.
April 28, 2012 4:15:01 AM

yyk71200 said:

I just ran the program CPU-Z and it says the BIOS version is F10. It's the same version I had before I tried to flash it. It should be flashing the BIOS to F13. I've tried flashing it 3 more times and I keep getting the same result. It says that it is flashing successfully every time I do it. Also, I might add, that I'm only flashing the Main BIOS and not the backup BIOS.
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2012 6:34:12 PM

downrivermurphy said:
I just ran the program CPU-Z and it says the BIOS version is F10. It's the same version I had before I tried to flash it. It should be flashing the BIOS to F13. I've tried flashing it 3 more times and I keep getting the same result. It says that it is flashing successfully every time I do it. Also, I might add, that I'm only flashing the Main BIOS and not the backup BIOS.

Hmm... My guess is that the back-up BIOS flashes itself to the main chip for some reason. I guess it would be normal if you flashed BIOS from a different board, but if you are absolutely positive that it is the BIOS for your board, then this is odd and I don't really know what you could do next. However, if new flashing BIOS does not repeatedly work, I would advise you to not to repeatedly try to flash the same BIOS over and over again because you can flash BIOS only a limited number of times. IF YOU FLASH TOO MANY TIMES, YOU WILL RUIN THE BIOS CHIP.
April 28, 2012 8:38:21 PM

yyk71200 said:
Hmm... My guess is that the back-up BIOS flashes itself to the main chip for some reason. I guess it would be normal if you flashed BIOS from a different board, but if you are absolutely positive that it is the BIOS for your board, then this is odd and I don't really know what you could do next. However, if new flashing BIOS does not repeatedly work, I would advise you to not to repeatedly try to flash the same BIOS over and over again because you can flash BIOS only a limited number of times. IF YOU FLASH TOO MANY TIMES, YOU WILL RUIN THE BIOS CHIP.

Well, I downloaded the F13 BIOS again just to make sure it's the right one. I decided to flash both the Main and the Backup BIOS this time. When I booted up the computer it still says that I'm running BIOS F10 and not the F13 that i've been trying to install. I read somewhere that something could be locked and not letting me update the BIOS. Could this be the issue and if so, how would I find out if it is locked?
!