[New Build] NAS build on 1000+ budget

Cjcates

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 months

Budget Range: ~1000-ish +

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This system would have 3 main functions. First, to backup docs/files from 3 laptops/1 desktop within the home. Second, to steam media (mostly 720p/1080p HD movies/TV) to laptops, iPhones, and appleTV via Plex Media Server. Thrid, to download and process files via SABnzbd, SickBeard, and Couch Potato. It will need to connect wirelessly to a NetGear Wireless N router that I already have.

Parts Not Required: OS (would like suggestions, Linux/Windows Server?)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, eBay, ect (any)

Parts Preferences: no pref

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: This system would ideally be headless and stored inside of a bedroom closet. Would like to be able to control the system via a VNC like TeamViewer or some type of web panel. Total hard drive space needs to be 8-10TB, so I was thinking 4-5 2TB drives? I know HD's are expesive right now, so my budget can go higher if needed.

Edit: Also I would like to be able to use 3 existing external USB 1TB drives that I have.

Cjcates

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
This is my first attempt at building a NAS. I really like the sound of that synology one, but can other OS's be put on it, like Linux or WHS, something like that? I really need this machine to be able to run Plex Media Server.