CPU cooling for low power CPU?

Hello folks,
I bought a mini-ITX board where i'm mounting a i7 2820QM on. I expected some form of cooling to be delivered with my I7 put apparently i'm wrong? Does a 45W max power CPU need cooling? If so, can it live with passive cooling (fins ..) or do i need a 'fan' cooler? (eg CF-989A-RS-R11 cooler)?
Tx
Sporty
5 answers Last reply
More about cooling power
  1. How are you using a mobile cpu with an desktop board? What are the mountings?
  2. This is really more about a "demonstrator" kind of setup where i want to show that a combination of a standard 'of the shelf' board and a very powerful but low-power CPU can take on a lot. As the mini-ITX i bought (KINO-QM670) can host this i7 i see no issue... but I have his question on the cooling need.
    Tx
  3. amuffin said:
    How are you using a mobile cpu with an desktop board? What are the mountings?

Hi,
    Sionce you're the only one reacting to my question: from what consumption onwards do i need
    - some cooling device (passive)
    - active cooling/fan?
    I assume there's no hard rules but you might be able to help me out
    Thanks

This is really more about a "demonstrator" kind of setup where i want to show that a combination of a standard 'of the shelf' board and a very powerful but low-power CPU can take on a lot. As the mini-ITX i bought (KINO-QM670) can host this i7 i see no issue... but I have his question on the cooling need.
    Tx
  4. What socket is it running?
  5. amuffin said:
    What socket is it running?

This ITX board has a G2 rPGA988B socket for this CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Intel i7 CPUs Power Components