First time builder - wiring question!

Janelle

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Hello again forum! I previously posted asking for advice on a case and did end up picking one and beginning my build. So far it's going okay, I think everything is scuessfully installed and wired except for the video card, saving that for last!

But, there is one thing I am wondering if I have done wrong. I took the sata cables from the motherboard and PSU boxes to install my WD Caviar black 6gb/s HD and Asus DVD burner. I noticed from the beginning that in the bundle of wires coming from the front panel there were two flat orange wires with identical SATA-looking ends. But I figured that was related to the eSATA hub on my front panel. Now I am wondering if by some chance those two wires were supposed to be plugged in to my devices?

I do not really know how external SATA drives work yet so please forgive my ignorance. Pleaaaase tell me I didn't do things wrong and I was not supposed to use those on my internal devices like the HD/Burner? I wonder where the other ends of those wires are.

Case: CM 690 II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216&Tpk=CM%20690%20II

Thank you kindly for humoring this noob. :)

Janelle

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
The case manual says they are indeed sata connectors but no more information hehe. They ends that I can see look like the ends that go in to the device, which confuses me a little. I expected a wire that would go in to a sata port on the mobo.