8 core i7 for workstation and future gaming build...

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
For me, Ivy Bridge right now looks pretty disappointing unless you need better on board graphics for a mobile setup. As I already have a GTX 580 and will continue to use high end gaming cards in the future I won't be jumping on the IB any time soon...

So while I gather the funds for an awesome new hybrid workstation/gaming rig I am looking to find out when Intel might be releasing i7 or i9 cpu's with 8 physical cores. I am happy to stick with SB unless intel release an IB CPU that really rocks.

I know that the idea of ANY game using that many cores is just ridiculous at this point but as I mentioned this build will be for various workstation tasks also and you can't blame a guy for dreaming right?

Anyway, getting to the point, has anyone heard anything about such a beast of a processor actually being available on the market any time soon? I have done a bit of research on the topic and some have said this might happen mid-2012 but that's about all I could find.

I appreciate any input or even speculation on the matter and will keep you guys posted as my build starts to manifest.

Thanks heaps.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
@Jim: Thx dude, that 10 core looks insane, hopefully overclockable. Can't imagine the price tag though.

@sk: Yea, just going through the official Haswell thread. I don't want to wait that long so I hope you're wrong...

sk1939

Distinguished
Going to have to, unless you want to move to AMD. Ivy Bridge isn't slated to introduce anything different from what's out already. You could move to Xeon's which already have 10 Cores, but you will be paying close to $2.5k/processor (Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-2850 ), assuming you could even find a motherboard that supports them (LGA 1567).

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Unfortunately at this point it is max gaming performance, or max workstation performance, not both. Xeons can be had with 8+ cores but they cannot be overclocked. Plus, they are incredibly expensive. Best chip today that straddles both horses is the i7 3860X. This offers hex core plus overclocking.

But that's really a money no object chip. I would argue that if you have a healthy budget and you want a chip that will excel in both categories, the 3830k is the best buy.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

You have a pretty good GPU. Assuming you CPU is not very old and have a 4 gb (ideally 8) RAM, you are better of waiting for Haswell next year.

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Nothing uses that many cores yet. Games now use 2-3, im not %100 sure if they use 4 yet but dont kill me if im wrong!!!
The 8 core is more of a sales number at this moment in time I would argue. However as you state it's not just for gaming otherwise i would have thrown into the hole point of hyper-threading tech and why you should go with AMD and not intel for gaming but that aside ;)
If your after something for a more general use that doesnt include video editing which is what hyper-threading was invented for, go with AMD :D
If you're wanting top of the top for no real reason, get out your wallet, shoot it a few times, scare the wife away and get an intel :p hehe
As for processors "coming soon", theres nothing really there, Intel has it's Ivy Bridge and there's no news what so ever about the AMD's next generation of Bulldozers code-named: PileDriver!!!
But there's nothing on it, no leaks, price tags, info, zilcho.
For me im waiting for q2/3 this year, then upgrade CPU.
Hope this info helps :)
Scorp

Those xeons are not worth the box/tray they come in considering the cheapest boards that I could find sell for $2000-2500 a pop. These xeons often go for as little as $200 on eBay for that socket but you will need to populate all four sockets for that rig to work due to the linked memory controllers. That is why Intel had no mainstream dual socket xeon platform since the end of 771 until recently. The base cost for a 1567 build is around $15,000-20,000 easily. Fully configured HP and Dell charge up to $250,000! :pt1cable: So SBE is dirt cheap considering how much the old platform costs.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for all of the good advice, guys.

From what I can tell, Xeon is out of the question as this will be a gaming rig as well as for 3D and video editing work (and they are a bit pricey atm). The i7 3930K looks pretty great, just wondering if I would get a major performance boost upgrading from an i7 860 or should I hang on for Haswell and just overclock my existing CPU?

Also, besides the slight difference in GHz, what makes the 3960X worth the extra expense?

sk1939

Distinguished

Hah, don't I know it, we bought 2 servers with 4 of the things (R710 I believe), with quad 10Gig-E nics. Price tag? Something like $54,000 each.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
amuffin: This is a bit of topic, but I have read somewhere that you can't have multi-threading enabled when you overclock as the CPU heats up really fast. If this is true would there be any advantage overclocking for 3D applications that need these threads to work at their optimal?

Would a good cooling solution fix this problem?

Or would I just set different profiles in BIOS for gaming or 3D work (for example) and switch between the two when needed?

...forgive the noob questions, still learning the technical stuff.

A better heatsink! Such as the cooler master hyper 212+! For an example, when I used Cinema4d before overclocking, render times took too long, about a day. However, when I overclocked to 4.5ghz render times took roughly half a day! Overclocking is great because you can have those cores/threads run at a higher frequency, which gives great performance in 3!

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Overclock your existing CPU. Forget the i7 3960x. It is not worth the extra money over i7 3930K. I reckon that your current CPU would give i73960x a run for money after overclocking....Throw in a nice cooler Noctua NH-D14 or something similar from their brand or CM Hyper 212 plus/evo...another option is corsair H100 or corsair H80.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
My overclocked i7 860 would give an i7 3960 a run for it's money? Wow, that's awesome news.

I am researching coolers at the moment, a lot of people seem to like the Hyper 212's so I think I'll get an EVO. That is unless anyone has had a bad experience.

Another quick question - Would I have to take the mobo off the inside of the case to install a cooler like the Hyper 212?

Cheers.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Your processor is still good. Please check if you can over clock the processor; if yes, you may want to check if it can be done with your existing mobo. If you can over clock it, I think you are good to wait for Haswell in 2013.

I have not used CM Hyper coolers. Please check with the manufacturing site if you have to take the mobo off. For example, the mobo has to come off to install the Noctua coolers.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
All of the research I have done so far indicates that one can indeed OC an i7 860 on an ASUS P7P55D LE (my current mobo). In fact, people are getting up to 4GHz stable under load.

I don't think I would be that ambitious but there is definite potential with my setup.

So it looks like I'll just OC and wait for intel to do something revolutionary with Haswell in 2013.

Thanks guys!

..Oh yea, I have installed various parts in my computer before but never had to take the mobo out so if someone could recommend a good cooler that doesn't require dismantling the whole thing that would be great.