990fxa-d3: can it overclock a fx8320?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • Water Cooling
  • Fan
Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2013 2:30:22 PM

only by a bit first, as i'll use the stock fan, but i'll latter upgrade to water cooling.

More about : 990fxa overclock fx8320

a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2013 5:34:43 PM

You got a typo, you mean 990fxa-ud3

I have one, and the 8350. With a corsair H100i closed loop water cooler I can go from the stock 4.0 up to just a hair under 5.0 without much trouble. You should be able to get her to at least 4 with a stock cooler.
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 11, 2013 7:48:28 PM

The motherboard is more than capable of overclocking that chip.
Related resources
March 12, 2013 10:01:04 AM

i actually meant the d3. not ud3. i know ud3 can do it, but i'm unsure about the d3.
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 10:42:00 AM

Overclocking is not just about picking a mobo and applying a magic number to set it up for some high clocks. There are alot of other factors involved when you want to reach a certain goal in terms of clockabilty.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

A mild overclock maybe but with the way the vrm's and the mosfets are placed without a heatsink to dissipate the heat will mean your overclock will come to a halt when one of those VRM's melt and pop while the mosfets can very well just blow up.

The cooler you keep the components the better a chance you have at keeping your overclocking goals afloat. Believe it or not, even a minor bulge on the mobo due to some cables can affect eh end result of an overclock.

I'd ask you save up a bit and go for a beefier mobo that has heatsinks to dissipate the heat from the power regulators.
March 12, 2013 11:05:56 AM

... the asrock extreme4? (990fxa or 990fx or something..) is it good?
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 11:13:24 AM

Lets not beat about teh bush and get down to business shall we? :)  What's your budget?
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2013 11:20:51 AM

Also, what components do you already have?
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 11:21:32 AM

hehe forgot to add that mate, +! :) 
March 12, 2013 11:27:54 AM

my budget is..... the lower the better! about 700€
but i don't have nothing at this point, but i don't mind getting a worst gpu, to get better wardware that will last more time (and be able to upgrade in the future)

my pc should be:

haf912 plus
tx650
(this two i think will last some years, and thats very important to me)
fx6300(i won't lower the cpu, only if it's to get a better gpu, and gaming wise will be better)
500gb hdd
8gb vengeance
cheapest dvd drive
and hd7850 (i could get the gtx660 but that means no better mobo)

now for the mobo, with this setup i'll have about 140€, so 120 £, 180$
(if some extra money i'll upgrade the gpu)
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 11:33:01 AM

Would you be able to provide a link where you'd like to shop from online?
March 12, 2013 11:43:41 AM

a bit over budget... but it's ok. will it be able to overclock, sli/cf, and all that kind of stuff? :D  (and the the mobo that i said, what about it? is it as bad as the other one?)
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 11:46:59 AM

Biostar seem to have a lower price that is evident of its quality in manufacturing. I've been using Asus for quiet a while and they are really reliable.

I can tell from your setup that you'll be trying to hold onto your parts until the last drop of life is given out of those components. The TUF series is the way to go and yeah the 990FX was the long awaited AMD chipset mobo that enabled SLI on an AMD platform - even if you don't want to sli, you can crossfire just the same.
March 12, 2013 11:49:48 AM

thx :D 
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 12, 2013 11:50:25 AM

You're welcome!
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2013 12:04:44 PM

I've put sabertooths in 2 client builds, they're awesome.

I have the gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 (which is why I though you had a typo) and it's around $100. It's not quite as 'bling' as a sabertooth, but frankly I can't stand uefi bios. It's pretty darn solid and has lots of overclocking options.
March 12, 2013 12:10:46 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm so should i get the ud3 or the sabertooth? is the saber worth the extra cash? getting the saber may pull me down the cpu/gpu...
March 13, 2013 8:28:37 AM

pls say if the saber is worth the money or the ud3 is good enough! thanks
March 13, 2013 8:30:51 AM

or the 990fx extreme4
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2013 9:08:10 AM

Honestly, I've been looking into these dumpy little itx boards, and I'm kinda leaning in the direction that the chip and gpu are much more important than the board they're on.

The sabertooth is really cool, but if it means you have to bring down your chip and gpu to afford it, don't do it. While it's true that you can always upgrade later, if you don't have another use for the hand-me-downs it's kinda wasteful.

As I said, my gigabyte overclocks quite well. At this point, it's all on your personal judgement. That's why I didn't reply.

Also, I really hope that they add some functionality to the enderdragon's egg thingie.
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2013 9:09:01 AM

Oh yeah, consider getting the 8350 instead, it's only a few bucks more.
March 13, 2013 9:11:57 AM

i won't get the 8 core version. I don't think it's worth it. i may get the 8320, but i prefer getting a better mobo or gpu
i think that i'll get the ud3 then. thanks, again
March 13, 2013 10:08:00 AM

... sry ...

and is there a mobo for am3+ that has pci express 3.0?
a b V Motherboard
March 13, 2013 7:39:29 PM

to the best of my knowledge, that's currently only supported by intel boards
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 14, 2013 8:06:29 AM

You know, I'll just ask OP to hold onto your cash and see if you can wait a few more months - about 3, to find out what Haswell will bring for you. Possible that you can get a very nimble and small form factor case with the budget you have right now. In fact Haswell will have another chip released later the following year and its be titled Broadwell. Revised TDP and improved onboard GPU - good if you're running a multi monitor setup...
March 14, 2013 9:55:14 AM

Lutfij said:
You know, I'll just ask OP to hold onto your cash and see if you can wait a few more months - about 3, to find out what Haswell will bring for you. Possible that you can get a very nimble and small form factor case with the budget you have right now. In fact Haswell will have another chip released later the following year and its be titled Broadwell. Revised TDP and improved onboard GPU - good if you're running a multi monitor setup...

if i go intel then i'll only buy the i3. i may get a i5 two years latter. but i would love to have a good performance in games such as bf3. i don't mind going i3 ( i do... snif snif ) if i can get good performance. as so, i dont mind getting the cheapest i5 and lower the gpu a little ( 7850, or, even 7770, or the gtx750 ( maybe ti ) when it comes out if it has the possibility of sli ).

now i'm using a laptop, ( :'(  ) i3, 2gen, 2.1 ghz, and gt520m

so, getting a 7850 or a 7770 will be a beast compared to this one, but i'll buy a 23.6 inch, full hd. but i don't mind having medium settings. i'm using low setting, 16:9 monitor, and getting very high fps. i may put the settings higher, but i don't care.

so, i don't really know. if the 5 gen intel core will be 1150 like the 4 gen, then, i'll go INTEL! but if it's different, i'll go amd. i'm pretty sure that amd fx cpus will have the same socket, at least the 3 gen. ( correct me if i'm wrong ) so, if i go 6300 now, i'll be able to upgrade down the road to a 8 core, and sli.
a b V Motherboard
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 14, 2013 9:59:08 AM

AMD will be having a socket revision as well as the FM2 range. Just a lil heads up for Google-ing :) 

Wait, save and then pull purchase trigger.
March 14, 2013 10:10:35 AM

Lutfij said:
AMD will be having a socket revision as well as the FM2 range. Just a lil heads up for Google-ing :) 

Wait, save and then pull purchase trigger.

i'll buy the pc in the end of june (my birthday :D  )
now i have the base, i don't think i'll change anything.. maybe the cpu and mobo to intel, and the gpu IF the 700 comes out before i buy.

but i'm pretty sure i'll stick with amd. or intel i3
the case, ram, psu, hdd will stay the same
!