Upgrade dilemma FIXED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama-Ninja

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: R10000($1230.00) - R25000($3075)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and programming

Parts Not Required: Screen, and GFX

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.IkonicIT.co.za

Parts Preferences: Asus for most of it and corsair force 3 SSD 120GiG and a Corsair TX850w. Also logitech G35 headphones once again unless someone can give reason not to

Overclocking: Yes, but not insane amounts

SLI or Crossfire: If there is valid performance gains.

Monitor Resolution:1920 X 1080

Additional Comments: Wanted to stick to a red colour was thinking of the coolermaster Storm trooper or maybe the new Cosmos II, want to avoid water cooling quite is good but not really something that should be noted. I Have a lot of Confusion with lga 2011 and lga 1155 which would be best and most futureproof

Thanks in advance

Solution
You have a huge budget... No way you could spend $3000 on a machine that games at 1920x1080 in a reasonable way, so $1500 is the max I would recommend spending unless you upgrade to a higher resolution monitor or multiple 1080p monitors.

LGA 2011 supports quad channel RAM, supports 6 core CPUs instead of 4 core CPUs on LGA 1155, supports BLCK overclocking, and has double the PCIe graphics lanes. These are the main differences between the two platforms besides the obvious increase in price going from LGA 1155 to 2011.

In gaming there is little difference between the two platforms unless you use multiple video cards.

I highly recommend waiting a few months before buying any parts yet because Intel has new CPUs coming out (Ivy bridge)...
You have a huge budget... No way you could spend $3000 on a machine that games at 1920x1080 in a reasonable way, so $1500 is the max I would recommend spending unless you upgrade to a higher resolution monitor or multiple 1080p monitors.

LGA 2011 supports quad channel RAM, supports 6 core CPUs instead of 4 core CPUs on LGA 1155, supports BLCK overclocking, and has double the PCIe graphics lanes. These are the main differences between the two platforms besides the obvious increase in price going from LGA 1155 to 2011.

In gaming there is little difference between the two platforms unless you use multiple video cards.

I highly recommend waiting a few months before buying any parts yet because Intel has new CPUs coming out (Ivy bridge) and both Nvidia and AMD have new video cards coming out.

Intel's new Ivy bridge CPUs are supposed to be 10-15% faster than their current Sandy bridge chips while using almost 25% less power, possibly giving significantly greater overclocking headroom over the current Sandy bridge CPUs.

AMD's new video cards are large improvements over the current generation. The new Radeon HD 7000 series has already started releasing cards (the high end 7970 is already out, it is the fastest single GPU in the consumer market, possibly the world for gaming) and it has shown huge improvements thus far. The 7770 is almost as fast as the 6850 and the 7970 outpaces even the GTX 580 by 15-25% right now while using the same 250w TDP of the 6970, which is a significantly slower card that uses significantly less power than the GTX 580. The 7970 is also a better value than the GTX 580 because even though it is 15-25% faster and uses less power it is still about the same price.

Nvidia is still being very quiet about their upcoming video cards so I have no idea how they will perform but they should be out around the time Intel's Ivy bridge CPUs come out.

If you must get your computer now then here's some tips:

Go LGA1155, it will offer much better price per performance.
Get the i5-2500K CPU. It will allow great overclocking and won't bottleneck any game out there today and for a while to come, and if it becomes a problem LGA 1155 motherboards are intended to be forward compatible with Ivy bridge so you just need to get a new CPU in a few years, better graphics later too because video cards are not very future proof unless you spend huge amounts of money.

Get either two Radeon 6850s in crossfire or a single Radeon 6950. The dual 6850s are way faster than the 6950 but cost a little more and probably use a little more power and also may have micro-stuttering problems, but probably not at 1080p anyway. Micro-stuttering isn't a problem for most people anyway, I recommend the dual 6850s if you want the power without paying much more, if any more at all. Good video card brands are Asus, XFX, and HIS. Gigabyte is also good but I've heard Gigabyte cards don't overclock well.

Get a good Z68 motherboard, good being $125-$175. It must have two PCIe slots that support x16 and/or x8 speeds, usually such boards also have a PCIe x4 slot. Get a full ATX board, no micro-ATX crap. Good boards generally have eight SATA connectors (4x 6Gb and 4x 3Gb) but some only have 6 connectors with two less 6Gb connectors. Good brands are Asus, Gigabyte, and ASRock.

A decent, cheap CPU cooler, can't use the stock cooler for overclocking. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is great and only costs about $30 last I checked, it should get the i5-2500K to around 4.4GHz, a decent overclock, but not too much or insane. Big overclocks are closer to 5GHz, I would say 4.8GHz and up for the Sandy bridge quad core chips are the "insane" overclocks that need expensive coolers.

Don't splurge on a case unless you REALLY want too, expensive cases are best for expensive, highly overclocked and huge graphics machines that put out much more heat than what we are discussing here. Spend about $50-$90 on a case and there shouldn't be any problems, I've seen many great $60 cases lately.

Use a decent PSU of around 700-800 watt, preferably 80 plus certified or 80 plus bronze certified. This refers to the PSUs power efficiency, anything less can use much more power than necessary and is wasteful. Anything more (silver, gold, platinum) is usually much more expensive than the 80 plus and 80 plus bronze without providing huge gains in efficiency to justify the price. Higher effciency PSUs are grewat in very high wattage systems because they can save much more power than they do with lower wattage systems. 700-800 watts leaves room for upgrades without being too excessive. It is good to have plenty of room because a power supply is more efficient at around 50% load than when it's closer to 20% or 100%. Your current power supply seems good, no need to replace it unless it breaks.

Get a 2x4GB (8GB total) 1600MHz 1.5v memory kit. Faster memory doesn't provide significant gains in gaming even though it often costs more but if you want, G.Skill's 1866MHz kit going for under $60 is cheap enough to be worth it... If you want it.The good 1600MHz kits are around $20 cheaper but memory is so cheap it would be a justifiable purchase to get the 1866MHz kit. If you want more than 8GB or RAM than 16GB is your next step but it won't improve gaming directly. However it would mean you could have several programs running in the background with an open web browser while you game.

If you want that Corsair SSD then you will still need a hard drive with at least 500GB of capacity. Anything less is about the same price as 500GB so is a huge waste of money, the costs being between $70 and $85. A 1TB drive would be around $100-$120 and anything more is more expensive. I don't know how much storage space you need but I would think 1TB is enough unless you store lots of movies and stuff on the computer, meaning a 2TB or better yet two 1TB drives (RAID 0 for speed) may be better.

DVD drives can be bought around $20 but Blu-Ray drives are more expensive. If you want a Blu-Ray reader you can probably get one for around $40-$60 but a good writer may cost more.

Hope this was all helpful.

Solution

Llama-Ninja

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello Blazorthon

Ahh well done sir.

I thank you for the great reply. I am going to look into the lga 1155 and the 2500k, sounds like a plan, and I have thought about it and I would rather take the rest of my saved up cash, save some for rainy days and buy a Led Tv for the ps3. Thanks a lot for your input really appreciate it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.