Sign in with
Your question

Is This Build Suitable For My Needs?

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2012 8:01:12 AM

Hey guys, just a quick query - i've designed the following PC but im not too sure if im buying what i dont need. Its been a while since i was involved in the hardware side and the industry has changed too much for me too comprehend!

Basically, i need this computer for generic PC usage. The only thing i might need to be a bit special is the fact im an "aspiring" music producer and i have a semi-demanding sound system. However, my old PC was without sound card but didn't have a problem with it apart from the fact i got massive lag and clipping when i was using my DAW, but i fixed that by putting the bit rate streaming up. I have a few MIDI instruments and controllers, all USB though. Render times took the piss.

On the subject of entertainment, I dont really play many computer games. The ones I did though, on my old PC sans video card, were Sim City 4 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2! However, whenever i tried to play a game made post 2007 it never worked. So im thinking with the current build would at least let me play Cities XL (the pinnacle of my gaming aspirations haha!) and maybe, maybe let me play Fallout and mods, Portal 2 and mods and RCT3! My old PC couldn't even run that Minecraft game, so anything better than that will be hugely satisfying!

I have an amazing 18" TFT monitor but i couldn't watch HD videos on it. Especially not when streamed.

So yeah, enough talking and here are the specs. My budget is 510 inc VAT (but i can get VAT back)

CPU : 1 x AMD FX 4100 (4 x 3.6 GHz) AM3 8MB - Black Edition
CPU Heatsink : 1 x Coolermaster Vortex Plus
Memory : 1 x Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics Card : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 - 1 GB - (EVGA) (PCI-E)
Motherboard : 1 x Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 (AMD 760G) - VGA
Sound Card : 1 x Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio (PCI)
Networking : 1 x Edimax Wireless LAN 150Mbps (USB)
Power Supply : 1 x 450W PSU
Hard Drive #1 : 1 x 750 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 16MB
Optical Drive #1 : 1 x Samsung 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - Lightscribe (SATA)

Thank you so much for the help! I just used the website computerplanet.co.uk to construct this for reference. If you really want to help you can go on that and build me a better version!

:D  :D  :D 

More about : build suitable

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2012 8:15:27 AM

Unless you are overclocking the stock cooler is fine . Even at 4.6 GHz you still dont need an aftermarket cooler .

get 2 x2 gig of RAM so it runs in dual channel, and it should run at 1.5 volt or less

The psu should be bronze rated .
January 12, 2012 9:41:23 AM

Thanks, i can save a few quid with that,

Also, could you elaborate on "bronze rated?". Should i just go with 300w?

Thanks man.
!