12v rail low for shuttle power supply

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
please help me for this problem...i have shuttle pc which the power supply doesn't work..i try to check the dc ouput and i found out that 12v rail it seems has a low output... only reads 8 to 10v..i check all the caps it looks fine.i also take out from the pcba all the caps and tested good..i dont if the schotty diode or the mosfet it causing the problem but i dont know what the proper test of this mosfet and schotty diode on circuit board..anyone who got an idea please help me what next should i check?..thank you very much..

Brgds,
Joseph

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
sk1939 thank you for your speedy reply...i will try to test the mosfet using your method today and i will update you the outcome...thank you...

Their power supplies were never great especially the older ones. Looks like you might have to rebuild the unit or hunt down a replacement. Good luck testing the mosfets and diodes searching for the fault. I am sure that there must be one dead mosfet or diode. Also check the chokes.

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
thank you for you help and idea nforce4max...it looks ok the mosfet as i checked today...what makes the mosfets drain down the 12v voltage dc ouput?i try to replaced 2 caps with 2200uf/ 25v to 1000uf/ 50v..do you know what is the effect or affect to replace with lower capacitance?is the ouput will lower or higher voltage? with lower capacitance will affected the ouput?i dont think the schooty diode will cause of it..cause the 3.3v ,5v ouput is ok..is only the 12 volts ouput is low..no idea really..please help...to check schottky diode is the same with normal diode?..or you can check with meter ohms seetings isnt it?can i check the schottky diode on circuits?if you have schematic diagram of shuttle power supply to shared with me, i appreciated..love to see that diagram..at the moment i am blindfolded conducting the repaired of my power supply no diagram at all...thank you all..for all your help..

brgds,
jojie

It is best to replace caps with the same voltage but the uf rating can be higher or lower but be sure that the caps are rated 100c+. As for the diodes and mostfets look for guides posted online how to test them properly.

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

That is temp rating. Low quality caps can't take much heat so most are rated for 85c but some still get labeled for 105c. Look on youtube there are some guides explaining how caps work and the differences.

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

hi ok thanks....i will see it now...

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
hi guys, needed your help again...anymore idea's...my shuttle switch power supply still not working...i am desperate to fixed these culprit as i already spend a lot of time just to sorted out these power supply problems..

these are all i done at this point, replaced the caps, still not working,checked mosfets it seems ok..schottky diode not sure...what do you think guys?i measured the diode looks ok..any idea how to measured schottky diode on board? check the using multimeter with diode testing setting..it seems ok...what else should i check?i think you guys are more experienced to troubleshoot this kind of problem..thank you very much..please help me..

brgds,
jojie

step 1 - replace power supply with a decent brand one

step 2 - refer to step one.

seriously, you could waste much time trying to fix a power supply, unless there is something obviously wrong with it (bulging caps/dry joints). If you want to take it further you need access to the schematics and an oscilloscope.

jovaf_estoque

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

thanks...i have oscilloscope at work mate...the only problem i cant get schematic diagram online with shittle power supply model..if anyone of you has one..please shared with me..thanks