ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I awoke my computer from sleep mode and nothing came up, screen wont come on, nothing. So I restart, case fans, PSU fan, LCS fans, GPU fan, are all running fine, but there is no beep and nothing comes up. Not even BIOS is showing at boot. It looks like it is powered up, but it just does nothing.

I have been experimenting with OCing my CPU, I never did anything crazy, I was being rather conservative. The highest I got it up to was 3.5 Ghz at normal voltages, highest I went was 4.75v (. But the whole time, regardless of settings, it was running hot. At one point while playing BF3 it got up to 68°C, I then immediately shut down, that was a few days ago. But just today I set everything back to stock CPU speeds and voltages, then the next time I turn it on it is dead.

I only OCed because I just installed a GTX 580 and wanted to get some more CPU power, to prevent bottleneck. The 580 was running perfectly fine for several days. I thought that the PSU I was using would be adequate, but perhaps I was wrong. But I am not really sure what is dead. Anyone have any ideas!????

I have tried reseating the ram sticks and reseating the GPU. Nothing happened.

My system Specs:

Phenom II X6 1055t
Gigabyte GA 870A-UD3 (yeah I know it sucks)
Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+
EVGA GTX 580 SC
8 GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
2 1 TB HDD's
NZXT Liquid Cooler

Solution
Some motherboards will try to recover automatically from nonbootable BIOS settings. Some do not. Those generally need to have the BIOS settings cleared.

Did you have the CPU voltage set to 4.75 volts or is that a typo?

4.75 volts on the CPU for any length of time will fry a CPU.

ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
UPDATE: I took out the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes and put it back in. Booted up the computer and it worked! it went right into windows, no login screen though? I got a cache error when I first opened chrome, but other than that I am back up and running. So now I guess I am looking for an explanation of what might have happened.

Is this the start of something failing? Is there a problem with any of my settings/hardware? Or should I be looking to upgrade a certain component of my system?

Some motherboards will try to recover automatically from nonbootable BIOS settings. Some do not. Those generally need to have the BIOS settings cleared.

Did you have the CPU voltage set to 4.75 volts or is that a typo?

4.75 volts on the CPU for any length of time will fry a CPU.

Solution