Sign in with
Your question
Solved

General approach to new system(s) and extra storage

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2012 2:06:24 PM

Hi,

I'm in the process of learning to build a homebuilt system or two and trying to get up to speed here. This website has been a great resource. I've also been reading Building the Perfect PC and spending some time reading on the Videoguys website so overall I'm slightly less clueless than before.

Anyway, I hope this is the correct area to post this so here goes:

I have a few issues. 1) I need help with storage issues for digital photographs and HD video. 2) I need to upgrade my wife's computer so I am able to do some relatively simple HD video editing. 3) Eventually I need to upgrade my computer with maybe a more powerful system for HD video editing.

I know that is a lot to tackle and you would need a lot of specific information to answer all of that but first I want to make sure I am going in the right direction.

For 1, my wife's computer, I suppose I will fill out that template I've seen stickied on the New Build area and go from there.

For 2, storage, I think I will initially include significant extra hard drive space on my wife's computer then maybe try to build a homeserver with much more capacity.

Then 3, a more powerful video editing computer for me, if my computer construction attempts haven't resulted in divorce.

Sound like a plan or am I way off base? Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Jon
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 4:38:21 PM

Quote:
I have a few issues. 1) I need help with storage issues for digital photographs and HD video. 2) I need to upgrade my wife's computer so I am able to do some relatively simple HD video editing. 3) Eventually I need to upgrade my computer with maybe a more powerful system for HD video editing.

What sort of issues are you having with storage? Do you need more or less? Are you planning any sort of significant backup storage needs? I need a bit more info to go on here.

If you post what kind of systems you're running on now that would help to identify what needs upgrading. It may not be much, it may be full system overhauls.

Quote:
For 2, storage, I think I will initially include significant extra hard drive space on my wife's computer then maybe try to build a homeserver with much more capacity.

You might want to hold off on that home server idea until the HD prices drop significantly - which may not be until the end of the year. Both WD and Seagate have assured this will happen but they've not given any sort of time frame.
m
l
January 12, 2012 6:18:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Our issue with storage is not enough of it.

My wife's computer is a Dell Optiplex 360 Intel Core 2 Duo cpu E7500 @2.93GHz 2.93 GHz 2.0 GB RAM. Her hard disk capacity is 232 GB with 229 GB used. She is not pleased with her computer. I assume it is slow because hard drive is so full.? I don't think it is a malware issue.

My computer is a Dell Optiplex 330 Intel Core 2 CPU 6320 @1.86GHz 1.58 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM. My hard drive capacity is 1.36 TB and 260 GB used.

I understand there is some room on my hard drive. I could move some of her data to my computer and delete it from hers but I think we will still need more soon given the flash HD camcorder we are using. Also I have many mini DV HDV tapes that are just sitting on the shelf unviewed and unedited.

When I said upgrading computers I actually meant new systems rather than upgrading our current computers unless you think that is feasible.

Ok on the server idea and HD prices. I do have significant backup storage needs. The pictures and videos are almost exclusively of our two kids. Right now we're just backing up with a collection of WD external drives which I have little confidence in.

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 93 B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 10:14:15 PM

Quote:
My wife's computer is a Dell Optiplex 360 Intel Core 2 Duo cpu E7500 @2.93GHz 2.93 GHz 2.0 GB RAM. Her hard disk capacity is 232 GB with 229 GB used. She is not pleased with her computer. I assume it is slow because hard drive is so full.? I don't think it is a malware issue.

That's pretty much the general consensus with Dells. I've owned a couple of them and I certainly wasn't pleased with either of them as well.

Having a full hard disk isn't necessarily going to mean your computer will be slow. There's a huge number of factors that can accumulate in a slow computer. Your Windows system registry may have errors, your hard drive may be dying, the motherboard and CPU could be going, it could be your GPU - any number of things.

Quote:
I understand there is some room on my hard drive. I could move some of her data to my computer and delete it from hers but I think we will still need more soon given the flash HD camcorder we are using. Also I have many mini DV HDV tapes that are just sitting on the shelf unviewed and unedited.

What you could do here is instead of buying tons of hard drives (you'll have to wait until we get news from WD and Seagate about the conditions of their factories), is to buy a BD-R burner (something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) and start backing up and offloading some of your larger files, then reload those when you get a new HD or two. If one of your systems has a 1.5TB hard drive - a BD-R disc holds about 25GB on a single-layer disc, 50GB on a dual-layer disc. You could backup most of your files onto disc and reformat your hard drive and reinstall the operating system - that could clear up a lot of issues.

If you really want to upgrade - you could probably reuse your case and buy new parts. The bad thing about Dells is that they use a lot of proprietary components made just for their cases - which don't use the standard ATX form factor, and upgrading these is near impossible. If you build a new system or two you might as well start from scratch.

Quote:
When I said upgrading computers I actually meant new systems rather than upgrading our current computers unless you think that is feasible.

Well that depends on what you want to spend. You can put together some really killer systems for like less than $900 with everything - including monitor, OS, and keyboard/mouse.

Quote:
Ok on the server idea and HD prices. I do have significant backup storage needs. The pictures and videos are almost exclusively of our two kids. Right now we're just backing up with a collection of WD external drives which I have little confidence in.

I see where that makes sense but you would still be wise to wait a bit. A 3TB+ hard drive right now will run you close to $400 because of the flood prices, where a 2TB hard drive will run you anywhere from $200 - $350 right now. It won't take anything at all to power a file server - you can run one for super cheap (maybe use something like a Pentium G620 with 2GB of RAM and onboard video).
January 13, 2012 12:18:00 AM

Ok.

I think I'll hold off on the server/hard drives for now and start working towards building a new system for my wife. Maybe move some of her data around in the mean time and leave the HDV on the shelf for a while longer.

I'll try to submit some specific information for a new build including budget in a separate thread.

Thanks for the help.

Jon
m
l
January 13, 2012 2:08:41 PM

Best answer selected by nottheratboy.
m
l
!