Heat from running dual monitors

mike_fugi

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hey guys I'm currently running a GTX 470 graphics card and my CPU is a i7-860. I understand that running dual monitors on an Nvidia card can raise the temperatures close to 100c. At Idle my card sits at roughly 70c with the EVGA Precision tool settings at auto. Just to keep my card cool I override the auto settings and keep the fan at 50% efficiency. My question is if I were to change my GTX 470 to something comparable like an ATi 6950 would my graphics card reach those temp too? Which other card that is comparable to these can I use to run dual monitors without reaching such high temps? Last time playing CS:S with only one monitor and the EVGA Precision tool on auto my card did reach 100c. I have to keep an eye on my card at all times just in case it melts. I want another card that is powerful enough to play most games at high settings without worrying about it melting all the time.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

mike_fugi

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Currently I have a Antec 900 case. All case fans on medium with a extra side fan. I also included a 80mm slot fan under the VC to keep it cool.

The temper in my area ranges from the 90's (F) during the summer and roughly in the 30's(F) in the winter. sometimes hotter and some times colder.

My Intel Desktop Utilities claims my processor thermal margin is 68c. Speed fan(which must not be working right) claims to be -128c. I think I should uninstall speed fan haha. I never noticed my CPU under load before. Even while planning games my CPU usually stays under 20%.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
You may have to reseat the heatsink onto the GPU, it may not have good enough contact. This would involve removing the heatsink from the GPU, cleaning off the old thermal paste from heatsink and chip, and re-applying new fresh thermal paste to the GPU.

mike_fugi

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah does sound like a good place to start from. I guess as soon as I get some cash or my pay check on Friday I'll go out and purchase some arctic silver thermal paste. Unless you could recommend another brand that you used in the past and have known to make a difference. I need to buy some air cans too and clean out the rig. It's been a little over 2 weeks since it's been cleaned out. But the Antec 900 V1 case never had dust filters so it does get dirty fast.

70c is way hot for idle. My 570 sits at 31c idle. I have not had a chance to really push it yet, but for Dragon Age Origins 1920x1200 completely maxed with vsink set at 60fps and it only hits ~56c, which only bumps the fan up from 40% to 50%. Sadly I own no games that will really push this card yet. I bought it for CUDA support in adobe Premiere, but one of these days I'll go splurge on a good new game.
The 470 is still a respectable card. I would look into some better case fans, or an aftermarket cooler before replacing it.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Use MSI afterburner and adjust your fan profile to be more aggressive. It will cool them right down.

I run 2 580's sandwiched in SLI and my one card used to hit 93C in any intensive game like Crysis or BF3. I used afterburner to adjust my fan profile to use higher RPM's earlier in the temperature curve and now they never go above 70C. I can get them even lower but the fans get fairly loud if I go more aggressive and 70C is plenty cool for 580's.

mike_fugi

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
wow im surprised to hear so many other cards running at such low temps with dual monitors. Maybe I can trade up to a 570 or 580 and get better temps. My two monitors are (Monitor 1) 23"LG W2361V-PF and (Monitor 2) MY 55" Samsung TV which I use to watch movies. If I switch to two 23" would my temps lower?

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
The temps will be the same even if you just use one monitor. The GPU running at 100% is 100% regardless if it's one or two monitors. If you don't want to mess with reseating the heatsink on the card then trade it up for a 570 or 580, or complain to the manufacture and see what they say.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

I've read a lot of posts on the Nvidia forums by Nvidia moderators that show that cards do run noticeably hotter with two monitors connected as opposed to one, it also is magnified if the two monitors are different resolutions. Usually they recommend adjusting airflow in the case or creating custom fan profiles, the latter always works really well.

mike_fugi

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah that's what I've been reading as well, other forums state that the core clock rises and stays at a constant rate which makes the VC heat up a bit, also both monitors are at 1080 res