What Is A Good Graphics Card for My System?

Hey, guys.
Recently, I was in the beta for a certain game that is an MMORPG (can't disclose name due to NDA) and realized that my computer was not up to snuff entirely for it.

My computer's current specs are:

i7 920 @ 2.67ghz factory clock.
3gb DDR3 ram
ATI 5670 1gb x2 crossfireX factory clock.

I could run the game on a medium resolution, and on high settings preset at approximately 45 fps usually, but occasionally go down to 22 fps. This is probably not just because of my computer, but also because of the fact that the beta was not correctly optimized for the latest drivers.

Anyways, I run SC2 and WoW on max settings just fine usually (60+ fps), so I wanted to upgrade this computer.

My budget is $100-$200 USD for the graphics card, and I'd prefer the best one I could get in that range. I would also prefer Nvidia, as I hear terrible things about ATI.

Thanks!
26 answers Last reply
More about what good graphics card system
  1. bump.

need help!
  2. Well you problem will be your budget as in your price range you are looking at the Nvidia 550 or the ATI 6850 and these both will perfore just a little bit better that your crossfire setup. To see a diffrence you want to see look into the 560 GTX or TI or ATI 6950. Come to think of it the plain jane 560 GTX non Ti might be in your price range take a look around.

T
  3. Are you looking to get just one card as I see you were in crossfire with the Ati cards. For the $100 to $200 range the best you are going to get is the 560Ti.

MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    $244.99 and a $20 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565
  4. MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    $199.99 and a $20 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127593

If you can't swing the 560Ti with your budget this will be the next best thing , but I would encourage you to see if you could squeeze the budget and get the Ti as it is a much better card.
  5. I could bump my budget up to $300. It was just a loose value, really.

I'm looking for a single card, as they are generally better for games like WoW and SC2 that don't support SLI/crossfireX entirely.

Is the 560 Ti that good or should I look at something like that 570 GTX instead?
  6. TheMendicantBias said:
    I could bump my budget up to $300. It was just a loose value, really.

I'm looking for a single card, as they are generally better for games like WoW and SC2 that don't support SLI/crossfireX entirely.

Is the 560 Ti that good or should I look at something like that 570 GTX instead?

First of all is your name a halo reference. mendicant bias forunner hahahahahahha?
    any way GTX 570 would be great make sure your PSU can handle it. whatever beta your running will be maxed out with GTX 570 most likely
  7. EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $339.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

I don't know what you are going to do . your budget amounts seem to be just missing the mark. This card which is going to give you what you need is over your budget and the 560Ti is now in the range of your budget. You may have to make a hard decision here and go with one of these cards. Either you bite the bullet and get the 570 and you will be very happy with that choice as a single card setup it will play all your games at high settings. The other choice is to get one 560Ti now and later pick up another and play all your games then at high settings . You can also wait for Black Friday or cyber Monday and see what you can get on sale.
  8. Or if you can wait 2-3 weeks the GTX560Ti will get a performance bump that rivals the GTX570.
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21890
    -Bruce
  9. theitaliansico said:
    First of all is your name a halo reference. mendicant bias forunner hahahahahahha?
    any way GTX 570 would be great make sure your PSU can handle it. whatever beta your running will be maxed out with GTX 570 most likely

HAHA, it is, but it also means "The bias of the beggars."
  10. Anyone know how I can check my PSU specs? If I recall correctly from buying this rig from Alienware, it was around 800W, but I want to double check.
  11. haaah 800w for dual 5670s is funny, really...
  12. Yeah, if anything is right with Alienware, it's that they're not cheap when it comes to PSUs.

Also, why is it funny? Is 800w over-kill, or not enough, or what?

Also, the Alienware is supposed to be fool-proof to upgrade. Everything is stored easily, and you can supposedly upgrade it without a screw driver even.
  13. a 400w is overkill for 5670s, even 3 of em in xfire, and even then a 5770 will most likely beat it, surely a 5790 will
  14. let me give you an idea of what 800w can handle
    GTX 570 SLI but you will be pushin it really hard. better off going with two 560 ti's.
    I actually do belive a single GTX 580 would do fine with an 800w power supply look into that if you really want a monster card although it is about 500$
  15. I actually think my PSU might be 500. I really can't remember, and I opened my computer up and I didn't see a sticker telling me the wattage on the side either.

I know it's at least 500, as that's the bare minimum Alienware makes.

I don't want an amazing system, I just want to be able to play my games (SW:TOR, SC2, WoW) on ultra with 60+ FPS at all times.

Can a 500w PSU run a 570 GTX? Is an ATI 6870 worth it?
  16. Yes, the 6870 is totally worth it, im getting me one some time next month :D for 160 bucks its hard to beat :3
  17. I have seen amazing reviews for it, but I'm just worried that it might take too much power for my system (500w PSU) or that I've heard some poor things about the quality of ATI drivers.

Personally, I'm using an ATI 5670 right now, and it seems to work fine. I might even get two 5870s if my system can handle it.
  18. BUMP, any help?!
  19. TheMendicantBias said:
    BUMP, any help?!

Please don't bump.

About the 6870, I'm pretty sure the drivers are just fine, both companies have their flaws.

Just remember, the more vocal crowds are always the pissed off ones :)

Hmmm, would it be possible to unscrew the psu flip it over and read the details? You don't need to unplug anything for this as long as the cables are long enough :)
  20. mouse24 said:
    Please don't bump.

About the 6870, I'm pretty sure the drivers are just fine, both companies have their flaws.

Just remember, the more vocal crowds are always the pissed off ones :)

Hmmm, would it be possible to unscrew the psu flip it over and read the details? You don't need to unplug anything for this as long as the cables are long enough :)

ok, sorry, my bad about the bump.

How much power does a 6870 take?
  21. http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/10

However, it says about 450-500 watts those are for mostly junk PSUs :)
  22. mouse24 said:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/10

However, it says about 450-500 watts those are for mostly junk PSUs :)

It says 295 watts. I think alienware uses corsair PSUs and alienware is not junk, how dare you?!

I think 295 is less than 500w (and that's in full stress) so I'm good.
  23. Btw, in full stress, my current dual 5670 ATI cards use 290 stress according to the same website.

5 watts is pretty close, and that's at max stress. I think I could run this card no problem.
  24. WOAH, so I checked and poked around and googled my PSU's serial (0GM34R, alienware), and I got the following results from various sites, including the alienware one:

Intel X58 motherboard architectures only have the 875 PSU option, so since I have the x58, it must mean that I have an 875 PSU.

I found another person on some tech forums saying that he had the same serial as me and had an 875 PSU.

I also have the p14/p15/p16/p17 wires on mine.

I think I have an 875w PSU! And it's Alienware, so it must be a quality one as well.

Anyways, I'm excited. This means I can really buy the 570 GTX if I see it fit...hm...
  25. I don't trust Alienware with anything, specially not the quality of my hardware components :P But nonetheless it should work fine :)
  26. GTX 570 is overkill for SWTOR. GTX 570 can run BF3 on ultra 1080p res with like 45-55 FPS smoothly. It truly depends on how much you are willing to spend. if your willing to go up to 350$ GTX 570 is an amzing card.BTW you can get the new edition of the GTX 560 ti that is coming out in a few weeks or a month or two for probably around 250-300.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product